Post the weight of your Savage XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clifffff

I am curious as to how much weight each of your Savage XL trucks carries around with all the aftermarket modifications. Please post them here either in kilograms or in pounds.

Mine is 6.5 kg or 14.33 pounds.

Mine is 6.5 kg or 14.33 pounds.

I assume fully dressed? This is an interesting topic. What shell, engine/pipe, tires are on it and is tank full or empty?

The last I weighed mine I believe I was in the mid-11's with a full tank, stock .28 engine, a Ninja 2053, and and Proline Top Kick shell AND T-Bone bumper. I'll try to re-weight soon. I'm not really in to top-end speed runs though, I just like the explosiveness and agility of lighter vehicles. Man..I got a 1/8 nitro buggy at 6.8 right now..and she is hard.

12 pounds dead, without fuel,

full Hpi suspension conversion kit fitted,
Adjustable Hpi upper arms on front,
Force 36 engine and 086 pipe,
Proline gmc top kick body,
Alloy drag link,
Hpi wheelie bar,
Hpi XL roll bar/head protector
Losi speedtreads wheels,
Hpi Bigbore shocks,

I assume fully dressed? This is an interesting topic. What shell, engine/pipe, tires are on it and is tank full or empty?

The last I weighed mine I believe I was in the mid-11's with a full tank, stock .28 engine, a Ninja 2053, and and Proline Top Kick shell AND T-Bone bumper. I'll try to re-weight soon. I'm not really in to top-end speed runs though, I just like the explosiveness and agility of lighter vehicles. Man..I got a 1/8 nitro buggy at 6.8 right now..and she is hard.

Never thought about the issues you raised like the status of the tank, type of mill, etc... This thread could easily get out of hand...

To keep the thread sane maybe we should just mention the very out of the ordinary and therefore weight-significant hop-ups / mods like aluminium suspension arms, transmission or gear boxes, wheelie bar, aftermarket tires etc...

But I do admit it is tough to draw the line...

My Savage XL has, inter alia,
Proline trencher X tires
Extended suspension arms by FLM
Big bore shocks of Chinese make (they are 8 grams heavier than HPI big bores but fiction better)
Picco P3.28
Aluminium belkcrank
Aluminum radio box and gearboxes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 12
12 pounds dead, without fuel,

full Hpi suspension conversion kit fitted,
Adjustable Hpi upper arms on front,
Force 36 engine and 086 pipe,
Proline gmc top kick body,
Alloy drag link,
Hpi wheelie bar,
Hpi XL roll bar/head protector
Losi speedtreads wheels,
Hpi Bigbore shocks,
Damn. This is 2 pounds lighter than mine...

Never thought about the issues you raised like the status of the tank, type of mill, etc... This thread could easily get out of hand...

To keep the thread sane maybe we should just mention the very out of the ordinary and therefore weight-significant hop-ups / mods like aluminium suspension arms, transmission or gear boxes, wheelie bar, aftermarket tires etc...

I guess the succinct version is 100% of the weight-increasing hop-ups will slow the vehicle down. The only reason to get them is to make the vehicle more durable (and only a small % of them do) or make the vehicle look better (most all do).

If it took my Savage to weigh 40 pounds to be durable, that is how we would do it. I place durability over speed and performance every day (if it's broken you can't run). Unfortunately the majority of their hop-ups were not designed to make the vehicle lighter (and in most instances stronger). It's simply their price-line, as carbon, graphite, 7075 alum, etc. are not in their budget.

To speak part specific: one of the best ways to lighten your vehicle up is changing the hardware. to a lighter steel. Some pieces however need to be stronger than stock (shock cap screws, pipe mount, .

Some parts could be slightly more durable, and perhaps offer slightly better performance...but due to the weight the performance gains might not even truly be noticed, IMO. If someone were to make a 16mm set in a lighter metal, that would be perfect, IMO. I would also like a carbon fiber set of TVPs and carbon fiber or composite graphite show tower and chassis braces.

Any then finally, there are parts that are heavier than stock but the weight additional weight can be an advantage. As an example, a heavier flywheel as an example will help slow the spool up if engine is overpowering the clutch and causing an RPM lag.

Last edited:
Mine is just under 6 kilos. I found my Tyres and wheels were heavy. Recently upgraded.

But I do admit it is tough to draw the line...

My Savage XL has, inter alia,
Proline trencher X tires
Extended suspension arms by FLM
Big bore shocks of Chinese make (they are 8 grams heavier than HPI big bores but fiction better)
Picco P3.28
Aluminium belkcrank
Aluminum radio box and gearboxes.
What's yours weigh with all the aluminum parts and the flm extended arms? Mine all stock but a lrp .32 got the steel turn buckles and aluminum steering and hub carriers all around with 3.8 tires and it weighs 14 lbs. I was wondering if those bigger heavier arms weigh it down quite abit?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back