Poor build quality?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbreddie

Has anyone else found their savage to be VERY poorly put together?

I am assured by the previous owner that the engine has never been out before I got it and neither has any of the drive train.

When I had to remove the engine to repair the starter mechanism, there are bolt holes missing and others not threaded, holes that should have screws in clearly never have had any (no marks on the anodising).

I have had to start dismantling the whole truck and re-assembling using new bolts where they are missing and using threadlock as much as I can.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems? or have I got a bad one?

How well did you know the seller? I'm not accusing the seller of anything, just makin a suggestion, but it may not have been in the best of shape when you bought it. But, I've never had any problems with parts that came with my truck or replacement parts that I've had to buy. That's just one of the downsides of buyin used instead of new, you never really know the full condition of it.

my brand-new, out the box X rtr had loose screws & etc that needed to be all looked over before the first run.

up until as recently as a few years, you could never buy a r/c model as an assembled model, they were sold as kits which the modeler would build and then buy servos, radio equipment separately, then build and run.

whenever you buy used equipment, you wouldnt want to rely on the ability (and desire) of the last owner to assemble & maintain the truck in the condition that you would want it.

so with all this in mind, it makes sense that any r/c model you get needs to be carefully built/rebuilt or inspected (at the very least) to get it into the order that you want it in.

Congrats on the new truck btw ;)

The previous owner was a mechanical engineer, I have known him for years. Its always possible he was lying but I have no real reason to doubt him. I know what you are saying though. I might send HPI some thread lock for christmas lol

well the unthreaded bolt holes i would say wasn't the previous owners fault, i would think that would be on hpi myself.

hope you enjoy the the truck man

Latest posts

Members online

Back