Picco Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez890

Ok, guys so as some of you know i bought a picco the other day.

So far i have done 9 break-in tanks.

However i thought my temp gun was broken because it was saying i was at 270+ with the factory settings.

So today i got a new temp gun and its reading the same temps!

Anyways, I'm not sure whats wrong or if I'm doing something wrong but all i know is:

The HSN is flush
The LSN is 5 turns out (from out the box)
I'm using Byrons 30%
My temp gun read 320 at one point ( i poop myself and shut it down)
There is lots of smoke
The thing moves like a bat out of hell

But i don't want to run and damage it.

Should i be looking for air leaks?

Any help would be really helpful.

You may be running it a little hard for being so new. with a really tight pinch you create heat from the mechanical contact. Running it to hard will cause the over heating issues, take it easy until you have at least a gallon through it.

ok, thanks for the quick reply =]

I did the first 6 tanks with around 1/3rd throttle, only since the 7th ive been giving it a little throttle, It does feel a little tight still when its cold.

Il keep going easy on it, i just didnt want to damage it.

Thanks Robin.

Did you seal the engine first? I would recommend doing it as soon as possible just to be sure. At factory rich settings for break in it should sound bubbly and be pretty sluggish. Also I don't think it should be getting that hot. I had a hard time getting my engine I just broke in up above 150* I had to wrap tin foil around the head to get it to heat up. That could be a difference in engine and location but 270 sounds hot. Sounds like an air leak.

havnt sealed the engine yet, but it does sound bubbl and sluggish, i tried it again today and it hit 300 so i shut it down and took it out of the savage and il try sealing it up tonight just to be on the safe side

I don't have much expirience with 30% nitro but I hear alot of people having trouble with it. I use Byrons 20% and love it. It seems more user friendly. 30% is good if you have some good expirience. Maybe try 20% for a while with a Mccoy 8 plug if the sealing doesn't help. Because if its running that hot now at its rich break in setting, it will be flaming when you start leaning it out. Also like purenitro was saying, as the pinch wears off a little, it might reduce the friction and bring down the temps. Hope it works out!

piccos have tight pinches from factory my picco never ran that hot in break in hottest it gets is 260 and i do the heat cycle methond

I used the Heat cycle method explained in Soulja's thread, I took the engine out last night and sealed the backplate and carb, i also checked the head screws. While it was out i tried turning the flywheel without the glow plug in and it spins freely and then sometimes its tight. I tried it this morning after it being sealed up and i hit 270 after about a minute easy running, i never kept it running long enough to see if it went any higher. I will try 20% and try to lay my hand on an MC8 plug.

well i took it out again today and I have no idea what i done but it stayed around 250-270. Il keep watching it and hopefully it starts behaving itself soon.

I know it's a different motor but the LRP Z.28 Spec 3 I'm breaking in would barely get over 160 with the factory settings and that was when I was trying to get it to heat up, it would run like 120-130 if I let it coast a lot. Your temps seem way too high. You might try richening the HSN to get the temps down and adjusting your idle set screw and LSN to help keep it from stalling from the extra fuel.

gd luck with the motor mate!

Latest posts

Members online

Back