Picco P3 .28

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frddyj

Ok, almost time for a new mill. I see a lot of guys get the lrp spec 3 but i have my eye on a Picco P3 .28 mostly because it seems to be a good one to have modded, which i plan to do eventually.
Anyone run one? Looking to see how it is to tune, & if my THS Anodized will work with it? I will eventually add a buku, but will need to save up for that and modding after i get a new mill.:Crazy:

Both the LRP and the P3 mod nicely, the picco seems to have better materials so in theory it should out last the LRP. The only issue I have seen with picco's is the carb needs to be sealed between the aluminum cap and the composite body, they seem to leak from that spot sometimes. The other thing is that the crank duration seems to vary from engine to engine, this happens in most mid to low dollar engines, this will affect the output of the engine. If you are having it modded then that should not matter too much as long as the modder actualy cuts the crank and opens it up to the modded specs of the engine, along with the sleeve, then it is a balistic animal.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the money go better than LRP. LRP is a bang for the buck mill. Yes I have one... if you can spend 250 ish for a mill there are tons of good options. Most just don't spend that kind of money on a basher. I'll tell you to do it all day!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a SHp6 (same as LRP spec2) and a Picco .28 modded by Purenitro. Both engines scream and have lots of low end power. Both are easy to tune. The .28's are a lot easier than the old .26's. Cant go wrong either way. Pure has modded both. LRP for Kiz and the Picco for me. I think both can be picked up for $190ish online. As far as quality internals....I have to go with Pure's advise. The LRP is a little more popular and seems to run low in stock sometimes. You will be happy with either.

Thanks for the replies fellas. there was a dude at my LHS that had a modded Picco P3 with a J4 pipe & he opened it up in the parking lot & my jaw dropped. It ripped! I had been saving up for a Futaba radio, but after seeing that decided that i need my sav to be psycho fast. The Picco is 205.00, $30.00 more than the LRP & my LHS has about 8 of them in stock & no LRP.
Based on your replies, i think i will grap the Picco next week & then break it in & run it for a while with my THS pipe while i save for modding & a Buku.
can u guys recommend a good set of clutch shoes & springs to go with it?

Good choice. That's the best Savage engine you can buy short of a Nova 528 8 port or an RB 928.

As far as tuned pipes, go with an Ofna or Dynamite 086. The Buku is overrated IMO, and overpriced for what it is. I'm not saying it is a bad pipe. Basically, when you tune it to perform optimally with the Picco, it's characteristics will be practically identical to the 086, which is 1/3 of the price.

Use Dynamite Max-life shoes and Mugen 1.0mm springs. You'll also want to buy a Mugen clutch nut (C0704) to properly align the springs. Very durable setup. I have a set of those shoes with 8 gallons on them, and they have suffered only minor wear.

Good choice. That's the best Savage engine you can buy short of a Nova 528 8 port or an RB 928.

As far as tuned pipes, go with an Ofna or Dynamite 086. The Buku is overrated IMO, and overpriced for what it is. I'm not saying it is a bad pipe. Basically, when you tune it to perform optimally with the Picco, it's characteristics will be practically identical to the 086, which is 1/3 of the price.

Use Dynamite Max-life shoes and Mugen 1.0mm springs. You'll also want to buy a Mugen clutch nut (C0704) to properly align the springs. Very durable setup. I have a set of those shoes with 8 gallons on them, and they have suffered only minor wear.
thx for the info psycho; i lookeD at the novarossi's & realized that they are out of my price-range this year. i am going to look into the pipes that you mentioned, but will order up that clutch-shoe, spring & nut setup that you mentioned; sounds like they worked for you.
I'd be interested to see a pic of your machine, got 1?

Do you have a link for the Dynamite Max-life shoes? I just bought the Nova 528 Hot modded will be picking up the Picco P3 RB modded. I have 2 builds going on.

An AB Modded P3 would obvious be my 1st choice:jamout: There materials as mentioned are top notch and there engine life will show this. I have no problems getting 8-10 gallons of HARD abuse on my Picco mills.

Heres some results of a modified one. Stock "unmodded" there right in the 1.8HP range on my X-Dyno.

Picco2823hp.jpg

An AB Modded P3 would obvious be my 1st choice:jamout: There materials as mentioned are top notch and there engine life will show this. I have no problems getting 8-10 gallons of HARD abuse on my Picco mills.

Heres some results of a modified one. Stock "unmodded" there right in the 1.8HP range on my X-Dyno.

Picco2823hp.jpg

AB, thanks for the 'Sick' reply on my thread. looks sick. gonna hit u up with a pm.

Adam, nice dyno results, I want one lol, expect a pm from me in the next month, I need me one of them powerhouses lol.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back