Performance tuning, let the engine tell you.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purenitro

Owner of Extreme RC Mods
This is the way that I tune engines, there are many other ways to tune but I figured this is the most simple way to do it so I will share my info. This technique is for a fully broken in engine that is ready for a full performance tune. This tuning procedure will set your needles where they need to be for optimum performance, a temp gun is not required (other then high temp safety check) because there is no guessing, the engine will tell you.

For this to work the engine has to be at running temps (or as close to it as possible) as well as having the standard 1mm gap for the carb opening.

#1) High Speed Needle.
Pull a wot pass a couple times and listen what the engine does when you let off the throttle. As long as the rpm drops right to idle, the HSN is either good or on the rich side. At this point you can lean the HSN in 1/12 increments until the idle seems to hang a little after a wot pass, when it starts to idle high after a pass it is just on the lean side of a perfect tune. Back the HSN out 1/12 turn at a time after a wot pass until the engine drops right to idle after a pass. Now your HSN is set.

To give an explanation to what is happening is simple. If your HSN is too lean, after a wot pass when you let off the throttle the engine is still lean causing the idle to hang and idle high until the LSN has a chance to take over and meter the right amount of fuel to bring the idle down to normal running speed (given the LSN is set correctly)

Now if the opposite happens, after a wot pass when you let off the throttle, if it drops to a good idle right away and then starts to idle back up too high, this is a sign that the LSN is too lean. If it comes off wot with a good tune and will drop rpm nicely then the HSN is metering the fuel properly but once it hits idle the LSN being too lean will quickly take over causing the rpm to go back up.

#2) Low Speed Needle
Most of this setting was explained above but there are a few little tricks you can use to make sure the LSN is adjusted perfectly. We all know that you don't tune for temps but a temp gun is very handy for this part. After some wot passes with the engine good and warm, bring it in and let it sit for about 10 seconds. At this point take your temp gauge and hold it as steady as possible on the head, what you want to see is the temp dropping a degree every 4-5 seconds. You want the temp to drop very slightly at idle because when your off throttle the engine should be cooling, if not, the temps will keep pushing higher with on and off throttle running and will cause temp issues.

This is how I do it and I have tuned a lot of engines for people whether bashing or racing. I have seen across the board from beginners to veterans that when they hear the high idle after a pull, the first thing they go for is the LSN when in fact it is the HSN causing the issue. The veterans are surprised when we richen the HSN an hour or two and the problem goes away. I hope it's not too hard to understand as typing it out is much harder then explaining it to someone first hand, if you have any questions feel free to ask, or shoot me a pm with your number and we can talk more in depth about it (Canada and USA only)

Robin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing Robin..Very good info comming from a mill guru..I am sure this will help alot of peeps out here..

great explination on the right tuneing and how to let your mill talk to you i never really could explane how to listen to your mill.. but always say listen to it and watch for good smoke trails but never could explane it... nice break down ... very sinmply put and easy to understand .....nice thx alot will help out alot of ppl on understanding the ...listen to yoiur mill it tells ya lots of things tecnique........thx again bash on ,,,

Awesome info. Very similar to how I tune mine but is very informative for the newer people to this great hobby.

I also stickied this I hope you don't mind.

Robin thanks for sharing your method, i know a lot of us really look up to your abilities to get the most out of our nitro engines to hear your method is very cool.

great info maybe you should add info about the "sweet spot "

I'm happy to help, I hope it gives some people a little more insight on how to tune an engine properly. One thing to keep in mind is that the engine has to be in good running order, if this technique doesn't work then chances are there are other issues that have to be taken care of. Thanks Larsen, great to have it on the front page for sure.

Good advice, it's surprising how many people don't know the basics of engine tuning.

umno

I think my buddy Dan, Owner of Team High Torque hit the nail on the head with his reply, here it is.

Guys, this is how Robin was tuning us at the Alberta finals. We have all seen it work !

Thanks for sharing the info Robin. I have said this a thousand times, " none of us was born knowing radio control."
Somewhere along the way, someone took a minute to teach us something. That post is like university education my friend!

Robin,
Maybe when you have some time you could write us a nice pamplet like the Ron Paris one we've all been using? Or Possibly a guest apperance with the podcast boys. :)

Your an awsome guy! Thanks for all the tips

great idea!! i would love to see robin offering some of his expertise on HPISF'S PODCAST!!!

That's great to hear Mickey, that alone makes this thread worth it ;) The boys have asked me to join in on a podcast session and I may just take them up on it.

When I first started with nitro I was on my own, no internet and nobody to run with. If I wasn't so stubborn I would have just dropped it but I love tinkering and modding stuff so I stuck with it. Over the years I have gained information at a massive expense, more then I even care to imagine......! At this stage of the game I would rather help someone to get into the hobby and enjoy it for what it's worth then put dollars in my pocket. Many times I have helped kids/parents to set up and tune their new RC's, my rate is $30 an hour, when it comes time to pay and I tell them to take the money and buy a new jug of fuel with it, the expressions are priceless, worth ten fold what the cash value is imo. You can easily buy smiles but when you earn them it's a whole different feeling. Just a little insight on how I roll.

Robin.

That's great to hear Mickey, that alone makes this thread worth it ;) The boys have asked me to join in on a podcast session and I may just take them up on it.

When I first started with nitro I was on my own, no internet and nobody to run with. If I wasn't so stubborn I would have just dropped it but I love tinkering and modding stuff so I stuck with it. Over the years I have gained information at a massive expense, more then I even care to imagine......! At this stage of the game I would rather help someone to get into the hobby and enjoy it for what it's worth then put dollars in my pocket. Many times I have helped kids/parents to set up and tune their new RC's, my rate is $30 an hour, when it comes time to pay and I tell them to take the money and buy a new jug of fuel with it, the expressions are priceless, worth ten fold what the cash value is imo. You can easily buy smiles but when you earn them it's a whole different feeling. Just a little insight on how I roll.

Robin.

Well said. I hope you do join us on the next podcast.

Robin.

the statements above go along way to showing how much of a great guy robin "purenitro" really is as thats what this hobby is all about bringing back the kid in all of us!!!

Robin.

:beforeme: :resp:
It's great to have someone like you around!
Thanks Robin!

Robin.

Now that's true Canadian spirt.

Many times I have helped kids/parents to set up and tune their new RC's, my rate is $30 an hour, when it comes time to pay and I tell them to take the money and buy a new jug of fuel with it, the expressions are priceless, worth ten fold what the cash value is imo. You can easily buy smiles but when you earn them it's a whole different feeling. Just a little insight on how I roll.

Robin.

already rep'd this thread, but that right there just shows how good a person you are. rep on its way a second time, as soon as site will allow me to give it.

Yep, I ve seen Robin helping people on forums for years now. Hes goten kicked in the teeth for his efforts several times too. He shrugs it off and maintains a good attitude. I'm proud to call him my freind.

Latest posts

Members online

Back