Painting Shock Springs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jem

Hi Everyone,

I am busy re building my truck and noticed the paint has been peeling off my shock springs. I have soaked the springs in paint remover and now they are all clean and ready for painting.

Is there anyone out there who has done this and can you recommend the best way to paint these springs? I would assume powder coating would get the best results but I unfortunately do not have access to do this.

Thanks

Jem

Well you could dip them in paint... or maybe some of that plasti-dip type stuff? A plastic or rubberized coating would probably last much longer than paint.

New springs will do the same. If they are real bad you could replace them but I would just get some black spray paint. Make sure to get the grease/oil's off them with something like brake cleaner or something and spray paint them. you will have to do it again before long anyhow. Some plasti dip may work like mentioned above or some spray like an undercoating for trucks may work as well. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I can't afford to buy new springs at the moment, I will try spraypainting them. I will post some before and after pics when I am done.

If you want, send them to me and I'll powdercoat them. if your interested send me a PM and I'll give you my info and colors that I have.

Hey, thanks very much for the kind offer, I really appreciate it. My only problem is that I have one set of springs and if I send them to you then I will render my truck useless for the period it would take to get them done. I live in South Africa and just the postage and time would not be a good idea.

I was holed up in my garage last night (my missus is not amused by this as we have a 3 year old that can be quiite demanding at times!) :) and I was trying out a few rattle cans on the springs. I have posted some before and after pics. I was quite pleased with the results, especially think the red turned out quite nicely. What I am planning to do is to spray the tvp's and other key components (such as the springs and wheels) in a caterpillar yellow, I am looking to get that Tonka Toy look.

What do you think?

Cheers

Jem

Latest posts

Members online

Back