OWB slipping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithv

I'm having a problem with my OWB. For some reason I keep getting oil on the bearing and shaft which causes it to slip. Ive taken the bearing off several times already to clean it out. Each time I replace the bearing it works fine till the truck has been running for a while. Then when I try to restart the engine the bearing slips. The only way to get it to work is to take it out and clean out the bearing again. Needless to say this is very annoying. I don't know why I'm getting so much oil on the shaft and the bearing. Does anyone have any ideas or know how to work around this? Thanks.

Replace the hex shaft. OWB's have an extremely tight tolerance for operation. My shaft only had a couple of thousands of inch wear and wouldn't work.

But why am I getting all the oil on the shaft in the first place?

It's probably passing through the engine, due to the wear. Also make sure your backplate is sealed. Your fuel can also be causing excessive oil. What brand are you running?

I'm running Odonnels 30%. I just switched from Odonnels 20%. The engine is only 2 months old with about 2 gallons through it so far.

make sure it is not leaking oil down from the exhaust. if so replace the exhaust gasket. also there is a small o ring in the back plate. once it gets worn I don't know if you can replace just the oring or not.

I was thinking it was from the exhaust but the top of the rotostart is dry. And I had sealed the rotostart as well. The gasket on the back plate seems fine. It looks like it might have been coming through around the shaft. Is there any way to seal that better or do I just have to replace the shaft?

Has anyone tried this?

I was thinking of getting one and eliminating the problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Back