Os' FLM/PRC Mid tank Mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Os.savageboy

This is my first mid tank mod and i will be doing a complete write up of my build. I will try and update it as much as possible as parts allow me to and time to work on it!

Parts list:

FLM Extended Low Center of Gravity TVP [FLM45100]
FLM Extended Center Skid [FLM45110]
FLM Motor Plate [FLM45700]
2 FLM Servo Mounts [FLM46000]
HPI SAVAGE FLUX BIG BORE SPORT SHOCK SET,#102365
New Hpi Skid plates, Shock Towers, Body mounts from SS Kit
PRC125 - HPI Savage OFNA Mid-Tank Kit From Larson
Ofna 1/7 Fuel Tank 250cc OFN19504
OFNA 10729 STEERING LINKAGE KIT, BLU 30mm
Ofna Blue Throttle/Brake Linkage Set (FUT/JR/AIR)
OFNA 10704 Linkage Sliders Kit Blue
All Brand new SMF Bearings
10,000 Losi Diff oil

Still need to buy:

2.4 Radio?
Picco .28 cooling head
Wheels/Tires
Hpi swaybars
proline 1970 ford F100 Body

DSC_0207.JPG

DSC_0208.JPG

DSC_0209.JPG

DSC_0210.JPG

DSC_0211.JPG

This Is what i have to start with!

Parts that came on Saturday

DSC_0363.JPG

DSC_0365.JPG
JPG
DSC_0367.JPG

DSC_0364.JPG

Forget :pannedout: The mill is a .27 picco, looking for a new .28 or .26 head with 4 hole mounting.

If anyone is interested in the Tvp's Let me know before the hit Ebay!

Front end work!

Pics of the dirty bulk and suspension is the rears but the fronts looked the same! The were extremely dirty from the guy i bought it from. I have already rebuilt the front diff, cleaned all plastic, and installed new bearings before i decided on doing a thread. I replaced diff oil with 10,000 wt losi diff oil and installed new bearings. I greased the gears with GENE Garage door grease which i have found to be a great grease! I have also cleaned and greased the Transmission and also put new bearings in too. I will do it step by step for the rear diff rebuild!

The pics are showing how dirty everything wasw and how clean they got and showing the new towers and skid plate

DSC_0376.JPG

DSC_0371.JPG

DSC_0372.JPG

DSC_0373.JPG

DSC_0375.JPG

DSC_0377.JPG

Bearings ^ Lots of them are used already those are left for the rear!
More Later!

Little more done!

Got the steering cleaned and installed but really waiting on flm parts! Servo horn came today! Getting shock oil tomorrow for big bores and all of the t/b linkage! Also got some pics of the trans all together! Was already done before i started the project.
DSC_0379.JPG

DSC_0380.JPG

DSC_0385.JPG

DSC_0387.JPG

More soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the suspension arms knuckles and bones out and the shock tower off, Easier to clean this way and replace bearings.

IMGP3296.JPG

Taking the diff case apart

IMGP3297.JPG

Got Grease?

IMGP3299.JPG

IMGP3301.JPG

IMGP3303.JPG

Cleaning!

IMGP3308.JPG

IMGP3309.JPG

All clean! (No the Suspension arm is not dirty its stained like and nothing will remove it)

IMGP3310.JPG

IMGP3312.JPG

Diff case cleaning tomorrow and also Diff Rebuild and more parts coming in!

Looks like you off to a good start Os, will be watching for this build to come to life.. rockout

Should be a great build. That sucker was in definite need of a rebuild.

Yeah she was definitly in need of a rebuild! Ill have some more pics up tonight! Then you guys can see how bad the mill's head is beat up and body!

cant wait to get the tank plate jason! Its going to be awesome! My next truck is going to be with your tvps and everything! Going to enter to win the tvps tonight also!

I didn't know mud was a viable alternative to grease for your diff...

:retarded:

Well Guys my camera died yesterday so i couldnt get pics of the mill and the body Jr. Tonight for sure! I also picked up picked up shock oil for the big bores, ofna throtle linkage, and sliders, I also ordered an ofna 086 pipe because i sadly cant afford a Ecrm pipe right now! and i also ordered the swaybar kit for the savage! This stuff should be in monday and All of my FLM parts are on delay right now because things are stacking up at FLM itself and my order hasn't been shipped! Hopefuly That stuff will get shipped out some time next week as they are delaying my whole project! I also cleaned the rear diff case and got everything cleaned up and put new diff oil in and thats already to go!

More Pics tonight!

More work

Been getting some work done but still no sign of the Flm parts! Got the shocks all filled an picked up some parts at the Lhs. Got the t/b linkage and sliders, Also got he Rc10 Radio box. I ordered an ofna 086 pipe and header and also the swaybar kit.

Will be ordering:
Hpi 17mm cvd kit
Hpi Nubz
Suspension arms
ofna steering linkage
dual fiberglass brakes
plastic roll bar
turnbuckles
proline 1970 f100 body
rush battery box

That should be it!

Future DX3R

What a nice piece! Love the quality Next truck will definatly be all cf because I'm having such a hard time getting my flm order and the quality is awesome!

DSC_0391.JPG

DSC_0392.JPG

Linkage and Box

DSC_0394.JPG

DSC_0393.JPG

People have been asking what the mill and the rest of the truck looks like and here they are!@

All 4 the same way!

DSC_0398.JPG

DSC_0399.JPG

DSC_0400.JPG

DSC_0395.JPG

Heres the mill after Cleaning and sealing and install of the new pull start

DSC_0402.JPG

DSC_0403.JPG

Still need to find a picco .26 head for it!

Heres how i filled my big bores

filled them up with losi 30 wt and pumped them up and down to get air bubbles out and then i filled them back to the top and let them set for an hour in the vice to get all air out and get the settled.

DSC_0396.JPG

DSC_0397.JPG

was going to mount them but needed to get bumpers on yet and also going to buy new arms.

DSC_0405.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
NO WAY !!
Maybe mine too :)
i hope i have them for tomorrow morning then ill come home from school through my truck together and hope i win at the LHS bash meet :)

Yeah they were waiting for the tvps to come in and they just arived today suposidly and there going to put the shipping lable on and get them out!

Hope they come for you brandon but if not I'm sure you could fab something up in the meantime!

Got the Swaybar kit from the Lhs today!

Picked up the swaybar kit at the lhs today! The pipe will be in next tuesday but i will be picking that up wednesday becasuse i ordered the 39t flux idler gear to put in my 2 speed trans and make it locked in second. I'm going to try this setup on the track and report back on how it goes. I will show how it goes together and what gearing I'm going to try on it.

anyways here are some pics of the swaybar kit, I am waiting for the flm parts to get here so i can start assembling it!

DSC_0408.JPG

DSC_0409.JPG

DSC_0410.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

thats it for now

did you order your flm parts from rcbros because i placed an order for a couple of things about three weeks ago and it barely got shipped 5/19/10

Yes i did, Things should have got shipped out last thursday or Friday, I went out of town from saturday to sunday but didnt look at my emails from friday and their was an email from Rcbros saying that they cant find my address to ship the parts out! So, we have been going back and forth this week to try different things but everytime he sends back saying i cant find the address yet! I am getting so up set because we have been at this address for 15 years and not one person has had a problem shipping usps! so my project is still far behind! If he cant get them shipped by next monday I'm canceling the order and going PRC!

Members online

Back