OS 30VG - Worth keeping??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIRISK

Hi Guys,

Firstly, let me say great forum!!

I have been out of the hobby for a few years now but have decided to get back into it. I have just bought a nice used Savage X RTR that comes with an OS 30VG that has only just finished break in (like new still).

Now, I was just talking to one of the guys from Massive Mods here in Australia and he was telling me that OS 30VG is 'a bit of a dog' and that I would be better of selling it and buying something else.

He said that they are not made all that well (for an OS anyway) and tend to wear out quick.

I was suprised to hear this as I thought being an OS it would be a good engine??

Has anyone got any feedback on this?
Would I be better of selling it while it is like new?
Maybe buy a GoTech 28 or LRP Spec 3 28?

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Cheers,
Shaun.

OS makes a great engine. I have not used that particular motor myself, but a close friend that I bash with does. It's very easy to tune compared to some and it's power is equal to most average .28. He didn't get much of a power gain over his stock F4.6, but he still likes the motor. Sounds good too. :)

Its all low end, but its still a quality mill. I'd keep it. Easy to tune, lots of low end grunt. Gear it up and run it. I wouldnt buy one as my first choise, but I wouldnt throw it away either.

Sounds good guys,

Thanks for the feedback and advice.

I thought, from what I have read, that it is a low end/torque motor, but as you mentioned grumpy, I can gear up the Sav to get killer top end any way.

My Sav has the 3 speed in it, so I will buy the optional top speed 3rd gear set.

What gearing would you guys suggest for the CB and Spur?

Thanks again.

well i don't quite know about your motor but just want to put it out there that it might be a good idea to fork up the extra cash or possibly less and buy an rb728 or rb928, very torquey and very good combo with the 3 speed tranny so if you decide to go for the sale and buy a new motor that would be the one to go with imo and welcome to the site btw

Its all low end, but its still a quality mill. I'd keep it. Easy to tune, lots of low end grunt. Gear it up and run it. I wouldnt buy one as my first choise, but I wouldnt throw it away either.

What would be a better motor that would get more mid to top end?

LRP spec3, Picco .28, Nova$$$
Picco.28 is the fastest under $200 imo. The STS.30 is faster to me, but a lot of hassel and low quality.

That OS isnt a dog. It will still rip with 19/47 gearing. Remember, its a savage. Speed records are for other stuff.

LRP spec3, Picco .28, Nova$$$
Picco.28 is the fastest under $200 imo. The STS.30 is faster to me, but a lot of hassel and low quality.

That OS isnt a dog. It will still rip with 19/47 gearing. Remember, its a savage. Speed records are for other stuff.

the os is the motor i was going to get but have been trying to find out more info about the others

I don't know how much exp. you have. If your new, I would go LRP spec3. The OS would be a good first motor also. These engines are rediculously easy to tune. They seem to run pretty good on stock settings and the adjustments are wide. My brother in law tuned his and he couldnt tune a s-25.

I'm certainly not new but i don't have much experience with tuning. my friend usually helps me out. but something that will hold its tune and be easy to maintain would be great.

Ive been running an os.30 for over a year. easy to tune, hold's a tune great.mine will idale for a full tank if i let it. don't be fooled it has so much tork it will snap axlses, geared rite its very fast mine runs around 40, 45mph. It lanches like a drag racer. As long as you keep the air filter clean and the mill clean, I haven't had any issues with it wearing out fast. pulls wheelies on comaned. all around great mill. I would run it and save your money, I'm sure you will be happy with it. it will wake up after a gallon.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys.

Mondragon - what gearing are you running with yours?

The last Nitro RC I had was a Jammin X1CRT with the Nova 528 and a Hyper 7 PCR with the RB728.

The RB728 was a ball tearer, it has great low end and also great top end.

The 528 in the CRT was insane!! Most nuts motor I have ever owned.

ya the rb728 is a very good motor and imo well worth the extra coin over say a axail spec 32 or something of the sort, also the rbs in the savages are a amazing race winning combo and still great for just normal bashing, just remember that the rb is a funny kinda motor to strat out for the first gallon is a bit of a b***h to start up but after that first gallon look out!

Latest posts

Members online

Back