os.30 Breakin Rich

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chimeraxp

I know that motors are suppose to be rich during break in , But I'm not sure whats the deal with this one ,
I had to lean it slightly just to get it to fire.
after Running , doing circle around the basket ball court , this thing is just ****ing nitro out , temps are very very low , not getting warm even . cool to the touch , I can't remember what my probe said but was just over the 100F mark.
I have to keep the throttle almost all the way open just to keep it running , this doesn't sound right to me , I didn't want to finish breaking it in for fear of damage.
would an air leak some where resemble this ?,
I'm thinking I should seal it at the same time I'm doing my STS

thanks but I have read it a few times now ,
knowing that the motor will be rich from factory and will consume tons of fuel is well normal , but in the last three motors I broke it I never had to do two complete turns in just to keep the truck running.
mind you idle is perfect as soon as I touch the throttle it dies.
going to have another look at it in the morning , but the manual isn't helping at this point . unless it's doing what it's suppose to be doing.

always better to check rather then **** away a motor.:cussing:

Manual says:
"if it stops because of being excessively overrich, close the Needle-Valve 30º and try again."

If it needs to be leaned to stay running, provided that there is plenty of smoke, just do it :)

oh dam , there was tons of smoke, and a dam puddle under the truck , i'm going to check the carb bolt and ,make sure it's tight , it's not acting weird other wise ,
I didn't see in the manual what the stock setting was for the mid needle. was going to double check it , I normally don't mess with it but like to make sure.
but thanks for the help.

Had a similar issue with my LRP.30 on break in, though I didn't need to turn in the HSN 2 full turns to keep it running, just 1/4-1/2 a turn on the HSN and 1/8-1/4 on the LSN to keep it idling and stop it stalling as soon as I touched the throttle and also to bring temps up slightly, the factory in settings were far too rich, even for break in.

Doesn't sound like an air leak to me, if it were your temps would probably be too high for break in and it could lean out.

Maybe try opening the idle gap slightly might help too.

factory plug , OS8 I think .
20% nitro , weather wasn't overly hot , 18C overcast .
I haven't had time yet today to touch my truck maybe later.

Running an engine extra rich is harder on it then just a little rich, lean it out and get the temps up as running it cold is bad for it as well. A little bit of oil from the stinger is fine, lots is again not good.

thats what I thought , it can't really heat up if its getting lots of fuel , its been too wet here to do anything .will have to wait till next week

Latest posts

Members online

Back