one way bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deuce

So, I've got about 3/4 of a gallon of Blue Thunder 20% through my 4.6 and now I'm going onto my 3rd owb. I looked online and on the bottle of my fuel, and can't find what the oil content is in it. I had my engine out the other day to install a new clutch, and found that 2 of the 3 screws for my rotostart backplate were missing, and the 3rd one was barely holding on. Would this have anything to do with it, or could it be fuel, or what could it be? Thanks!

I never had luck with Blue Thunder....I had a STS that had an internal OWB and with that fuel I never had a OWB hold together anymore than a few tanks. A loose screw could be part of the problem also.

Sounds to me like your trying to turn it over after the engine is hydro locked. The strain is twisting the rotoplate and destroying oneways. You need to take the plug out and drain the fuel or just loosen the plug and let the fuel come out the top. Lean your lsn a bit and/or don't choke it so long.

So, are you saying that my owb might still be good? Should I just take it off and clean up the shaft and the bearing and try it again? I bought a new one just incase, so its no problem replacing it.

Hammering the roto after its locked is the #1 oneway killer. They can be cleaned. As long as theres no cracks.

I do hate BT fuel, but I think your lsn is rich and your flooding it.

ive ran alot of blue thunder and ive never had any probs with it killing owbs. but like wat was said ealier its prolly hydrolocked and thats wats eatin them up. just my .02

Ok, so I pulled everything apart, cleaned the shaft up really good, put a new owb on, put it back together, it still spun freely. Figured I must have put the bearing in backwards, so I switched it, still nothing. Pulled apart the backplate to check the gears, they're all still in perfect shape.

What should I be looking for now?

does anybody know a part number for the shaft? it doesn't seem to be listed in the HPI book that came with my truck!

i would try to spin the flywheel to make sure the piston is moving. if it is not then you probably have a broken piston arm or crankshaft

piston is moving fine...it ran 100% last time I had it out, then I went to start it yesterday and it wouldn't go, the owb was just spinning freely.

I don't think its the shaft. Check the gears in the roto backplate.

Have you ever pulled the engine backplate off? If you did, make sure the spring and pin is in the crank and catches the spot on the shaft.

I don't think its the shaft. Check the gears in the roto backplate.

Have you ever pulled the engine backplate off? If you did, make sure the spring and pin is in the crank and catches the spot on the shaft.

checked that too...nothing is stripped, no broken teeth, if i put the rotostart shaft in and turn it by hand, everything turns as it should...this is wierd!

if your wand tuns everything as it should, then its the roto unit itself. probably a busted gear in the hand held unit.

the actual rotostart is also fine, it cranks no problem still...i'm just gonna take my engine in tomorrow, and let the shop figure it out

So, turns out that it was part number 1433 that was my problem. The starting pin/pressure spring. The parts were still there, but they weren't intact anymore. The pin had gotten grooved from the spring, so it wasn't allowing the pin to move in and out to catch the shaft. Thanks for your help guys, great forum!

Latest posts

Members online

Back