Old school break in vs the pros way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE PIPER

TIME TO PAY THE PIPER
I was looking up how to break in my new Axial .32 and the crazy new LRP.28 and found this linkhttp://www.rbmods.net/enginetempering.php It has step by step but I'm not a mechanic and I think I know what TDC,BDC stands for but in the break in it said to make sure that the engine is at BDC when you turn it off. How do I know its at BDC do I take off the glow plug to check? Cheers!!:cheers:

Thats how I did it first,then mark the flywheel with a sharpie so you don't have to pull plug every time.
Dave

TDC is top dead center and BDC is bottom dead center.
When you take the glow plug out to put the after run oil in just check that the piston is at the bottom of the stroke. I marked the flywheel with a sharpie too but it always comes off after a few runs.
This break in method works great. Its faster and I think it gives the engine a better break in then the traditional way of idling it on a box.

If you use that break in method you wont be using after run oil between cycles. You will run it for the approximate time to get it up to temp, around 200, then shot it down and let it cool at BDC. Just take the plug out check where BDC is and make a mark on the flywheel so you know where to put it.
Let the engine cool at BDC down to around 100 and then start the next cycle. When you are done for the day then put the after run oil in. Nitro fuel attracts water, so without the after run oil to protect the engine theres a good chance of it rusting inside which is NOT GOOD..
Always use the after run oil regardless of what fuel you use.

Was it hard to do dave?
No its very easy to do! And like Keithv said the mark tends to rub off but with just a little practice you will be able to feel TDC and BDC when turning over motor with flywheel by hand.
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL opps sorry buddy I fixed it-too many threads going on right now my brain hurts! Thats MR Nitro junky to me!
Dave

lol. thats ok. I have the same problem. Figured Id hit ya up though

"get it up to temp, around 200"
"Let the engine cool at BDC down to around 100 and then start the next cycle"

Glad to see that my wisdom is paying off........LOL

i all ways store my engines at bdc between runs if you let the engine cool with the piston up you have the chance of losing the pinch in your engine

Shall i leave the needles at factory settings when using the bess breakin method or do i lean it out abit to get the temps up.

piper you may not be a engine guy but man you fixed up.. that truck looks real good man i just noticed it wow nice truck piper.... good luck on the break in. only mess with the hsn and lsn if the truck won't run. i go throw like four glow plugs every break in so have extra ... thanks

piper you may not be a engine guy but man you fixed up.. that truck looks real good man i just noticed it wow nice truck piper.... good luck on the break in. only mess with the hsn and lsn if the truck won't run. i go throw like four glow plugs every break in so have extra ... thanks

Thanks for the compliment but I've just got some more hop ups. I just got the Innovative shocks on the truck the new roll cage from RC solutions for some serious bashing that will be in next week, I'll have the new Axial beadlocks next week and I'm hoping the new spectrum dxr3 will arrive soon. God I've got a sickness.Cheers!!

The cylinder sleeve is only tapered just at the top, so as long as your not in the last 1/4" of upward travel, then it should be ok. The best way to do this, is to rotate the flywheel until the compession starts to build up in the cylinder, and then just turn it back a half turn. This will place the piston somewhere near BDC where the sleeve is not tapered.
Hope this helps.

Oh yea, nearly forgot. As for the break in method, NITRONUT has it right on the money ! Once you try this method you won't go back............. I won't anyhow !

Oh yea, nearly forgot. As for the break in method, NITRONUT has it right on the money ! Once you try this method you won't go back............. I won't anyhow !

Thank you! :resp:

After 20 something years of R/C expierence I have made my fair share of mistakes in this department. Break-in IS the most critical part of any nitro engine. Allways glad to help.

Latest posts

Members online

Back