Old Nitro Fuel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinmuff

If i run my savage for a little bit, but then still have some nitro fuel left in the tank, i always push out the left over fuel and put it into a little container.
Should i re-use this fuel? Is that ok?
I haven't been, because my brother says its bad, but I'm wondering if it really is.

i always have some fuel left either 1/2 or just 1/4 and I still use it, just make sure your tank is clsoed all the way......

If i run my savage for a little bit, but then still have some nitro fuel left in the tank, i always push out the left over fuel and put it into a little container.
Should i re-use this fuel? Is that ok?
I haven't been, because my brother says its bad, but I'm wondering if it really is.
It's fine as long as you burn all the fuel out of your engine. Once you blow the fuel into the tank snap on a glow starter and fire it up. It should run and then die within 5 secs.

right, gunna explain this the easiest way i can, nitro fuel, is basically a blend of oil (lubrication) and nitro-methane (the bit what goes bang!) if the fuel is exposed to the air, then the nitro-methane will evaporate, leaving just oil behind, which isn't combustible enough to ignite in an r/c glow engine (we simply don't get enough compression to get the air hot enough-like ina diesel oil engine...) so, put simply, as long as the fuel is in an air-tight container, yeah, by all means re-use it. but remember our fuel tanks have pipes going to the carb and pipe, which the nitro-methane can evaporate out of. hope this is of some use bud.

dan

ugh, well i might have a problem then.
the can that my fuel came in, was so hard to pour out of, so i cut a hole in the back of it, so air could come it, and that helped alot
but now the container isnt sealed. so i think ill pour it all into a milk jug, and put a balloon under the cap when I'm tightening it, u think this will work?

yeah if you want a melted milk jug and nitro all over the place, i use a 1 gallon fuel can and have no problems

I just run the tank dry (when I can ) If I have some left over I put it back in the container.... put the lid on it and squeeze all the air out of it. then store in a cool place .

did u guys know that cold flue gives u a little more power.. hard core racers will keep there flue really cold .. just a little info guys have a good day ...

http://www.rcplanet.com/Dubro_Fuel_Bottle_p/dub2215.htm

I use one of these, just put the end in a two gallon jug of fuel and squeeze the bottle to fill it up..

DUB2215-1.jpg

It also makes it a joke to empty your savage tank if you have some left after running..

[hs] darkshine;20319 said:
right, gunna explain this the easiest way i can, nitro fuel, is basically a blend of oil (lubrication) and nitro-methane (the bit what goes bang!) if the fuel is exposed to the air, then the nitro-methane will evaporate, leaving just oil behind, which isn't combustible enough to ignite in an r/c glow engine (we simply don't get enough compression to get the air hot enough-like ina diesel oil engine...) so, put simply, as long as the fuel is in an air-tight container, yeah, by all means re-use it. but remember our fuel tanks have pipes going to the carb and pipe, which the nitro-methane can evaporate out of. hope this is of some use bud.

dan

Well said. i had some problems with leaving my fuel in my truck so i took it to my LHS to get it cleaned and that is almost exactly what he told me. He also told me just to run all the fuel out of my tank at the end of a run.

So what do you think the shelf life of Nitro in an air tight bottle would be?

So if the car runs fine then I assume that not enough Nitro has evaporated?

Just curious b.c. I just fired up some nitro that I have had in my garage in TEXAS for over a year and a half with no problems. I forgot how much I loved that smell.

:::Confession::::
I haven't touched my Truck in over a year. Just got hooked, again...

Its not the thickness of the plastic, its the type of plastic used in your mil jug I would suppose.

Buy a proper fuel bottle, for a few $ and you will be safe.

all depends on the plastic, just make sure that if you have more than one gas can in the garage that you mark them differently or you my end up with a nitro powered mower or weed eater, don't wanna think of damage that might cause

[hs] darkshine;20581 said:
nitro powered mower...........

Or put some blue thunder in you car's windshield washer fluid tank. Yikes.....

[hs] darkshine;20586 said:
nah, that wouldn't happen, i mean who uses that rubbish??!!
Not me..........I use the purple stuff, a.k.a. Monter Horsepower........good stuff.

Hmmm...nitro powered mower? Being a groundskeeper during the day, that sounds like a heck of a good time! If I figure out how to make it work I'll be sure to let you guys know... :Xjeep:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back