OK..I need some computer help...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k0m0d067

I bought a Laptop quite awhile back, for the sole purpose of tuning Raceguns (Raceguns are High-end electronicly operated paintball guns). It's currently running WinXP, which should be compatible with R.I.P. (Racegun Interface Program) but for some strange reason, I get the following error, when it tries installing:

"The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\VB6STKIT.DLL is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

PLEASE someone help me out here...I can't use my personal PC, as I upgraded for gaming purposes, and now have no serial ports in it (the program installs with no problems on the PC, but the MoBo has no serial ports, which is the only way the racegun can communicate with the PC)...I've had to resort to using R.I.P. on my kids' machine for the time being...I could always buy a serial port PCI card, which would solve my PC's problem, but that doesn't address my laptop's problem...

Mega? I know you're usually the man when it comes to computer stuff :resp: ...help a guy out?!?

Is it a production disk or a writable disk? Is R.I.P compatable with vista? Believe it or not, there many versions of winXP. If they wrote the program with one version it may not work with another. I'm not a comp expert, but I have some experience. I will do some investigating for you and get back to you soon!!

I'm sorry man, I didn't see your post previously! I looked at your post, and I got something for you to try.

First, vb6stkit.dll is a Visual Basic Setup Toolkit Library. Basically, it links files together, and provides some basic routing information for programs that will be using it. It's a lot more difficult then that, but that's the idea.

Try this link: DLL Files -> vb6stkit.dll

Once you download that, place it into the correct directory, which your error shows as: C:\Windows\System32\

Let me know if that works for you k0m0d0. If it doesn't, and still has the same error, I'll look into further ideas for ya. You might have just got one of those errored files. Never know, small errors can happen, and sometimes you never know when it will!

Let me know how that .dll works for you. I've been using DLL-Files forever and a day, they never let me down when I need that certain dll!

nah...sorry fellas...I shoulda posted an update...

here's the solution that was given to me (and worked like a charn btw)

Q. Setup fails with a 'vb6stkit.dll is not a valid Windows image' error

A. This is a documented Microsoft bug. Here are some suggestions for addressing it:
On the target computer, search for a copy of your application's .cab file(s) in the Windows folder (or Winnt folder on NT).
If found, delete the .cab file(s). Setup places the .cab file(s) in the Windows or Winnt folder and removes them at the end of a successful Setup.

However, if the installation program exits abnormally, the .cab files may be left on the system. In the WindowsTemp folder (or the folder specified by the TEMP environment variable on NT), look for a subfolder named Msftqws.pdw. If found, delete the subfolder.
On the target computer, locate the following files.
If any of these files have a size of 0 bytes, delete the file: WindowsSystemVb6stkit.dll (or WinntSystem32Vb6stkit.dll), WindowsSt6unst.exe (or WinntSt6unst.exe)
Run Setup again.

Sweetness man, good to hear it's running. :)

Windows can be buggy sometimes. You just got one of them there bugs. Get the flyswatter, and keep going! :)

yeah...I've got a funny picture along those lines, but has a dirty word in it, so I'll refrain from posting it in here...

Latest posts

Members online

Back