Ofna Tank vs. Mid-Tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractorman

I'm contemplating doing a fuel tank upgrade on my 4.6 X RTR and checking out my options. I'm wondering what everyone thinks is better: Ofna Tank or Mid-Tank and why.

I think the mid tank is the way to go, if you don't care about reverse (I don't think there is a way to do it with the reverse servo installed.) I would love to do it just becase it mooves some of the weight foward which IMO the savage needs.

The ofna tank seems ok too, tank stays in the same place, the only reason to do it is if you have the half tank lean issue. New era has the tank with a bracket they sell that will bolt right on. actually they sell one that blots to the same place as stock and they make one that bolts to the rear of the savage.

rear mount
http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?session_id=nbgfwelvxmaumcndhyumshkujhqhghdu&part_id=1853

http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?session_id=mxhvndnwuhgwscfkfscqodlwhyeeqpfb&part_id=1704

I agree with Wister as the mid-tank moves some weight forward and center of the truck. This option also has many tank options like larger, same, & smaller tanks. The tank is much more protected.

The Ofna tank is smaller and is still hanging off the side of the truck which when full it is haavy on that side. It is also not protected at all and the front of the truck is still light.

I am also not sure of the reverse as ive never been intrested in it. But it may be possable with the reverse mixer and module but I'm unsure as to how it works, i don't think you need the servo for this with the mixer. I'm sure someone with experience will chime in here though.

well I'm using the Ofna tank, and It works good. The midtank is equally good but It has its perks; like they said.

If you want to do Ofna tank get this tank; http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBM24&P=ML

as for installing it to the truck Its as easy as modifying the rear fuel tank mount and using a couple shims and shaving down the mounts on the tank to 1/4" but as for installing a Midtank, you need new TVPs which is another $75-$150 setback..

I haven't had any problems with it and Ive bashed over a gallon.. and It cost a fraction of the price to complete

It can get some protection with using a fuel tank guard, but I'm still looking for one that will fit it properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are purely looking for a way to take care of the half tank lean issue, then the ofna tank is all you need. Its very cheap with the new era kit being $15.90 and it basically go in the stock location. I have it and can vouch for it. But if you are looking for better weight distribution and better fuel capacity you will have to go mid-tank.

Do you really have to get new TVP's to do the mid-tank? Will the Hellfire fuel tank work for the mid-tank mod?

No you don't need new TVP's. There are some people who move the electronics from the current battery box and then hack/mod the battery box to accept a tank. Some use the MGT tank I know.

I'm sure someone here has pictures of this done, however I have never done this. You may beable to search and find it just type mid-tank but for some reason my search doesn't work.

Hey man can u send me some pic of your tank mod i would love to do it.What all did u have todo to the tank mouints

I have one truck midtanked (you can keep reverse) and one with the Ofna tank. The ofna tank is by far the easier option. The midtank is better, because of all the options. You can pick almost any size tank and radio box. Customize it the way you want. It is a lot more work so its really up to you. Check my sig and look at my PB. Savage 1 has been redone. Once with std length FLMs and reverse and the latest with IRC ext. Savage 2 has the Ofna tank.

the ofna tank is nice i run them on both of my trucks and is cheap but it is smaller then a tank u would use for a mid tank

Hi guy's i have just signed up here.I ordered the ofna side tank mod from newera yesterday for my xl.I ordered it because i am sick of the halt tank lean problem:duh:.Does anyone know how long a runtime i should get now with the smaller tank?Thanks.

With a 5.9, probably around 7min. Just guessing though. I don't imagine the 5.9 being very fuel efficient.

Yeah, its def not...Ha ha! i can run for about a half hour on one full track bottle that gets me 3 tanks...all depends on the terrain though, wether its wide open, or its contained. I usually run it in open fields, WOT the whole way!

Last edited by a moderator:
are you bashing ? just built two flm mid tanks and tried three tank and finally went with ofna 1/7 scale tank part #19504 just so I can run longer

I'm not getting the fuel economy that you can get so thats why the bigger tank,when I had the 4.6 the stock tank worked good but Ive put os 30 and lrp 2.8 in my trucks so bigger tank make for longer run time

I'm not getting the fuel economy that you can get so thats why the bigger tank,when I had the 4.6 the stock tank worked good but Ive put os 30 and lrp 2.8 in my trucks so bigger tank make for longer run time

Indeed...I'm looking for a way to mount the stock tank in a different location, or go custom all together...

thats why I went with flm set up and liked some much I got two with the bigger tank works get and lost the mid tank lean problem and can run 2 to3 times longer but after today don't know if I need that longer run time wrecked three trucks today

You wrecked the trucks though. Not the bigger tanks.:axed:

yes thats true and I had problems today broke the pullstart on lrp2.8 again and the losi 8t ran away again but a big old rock stopped it for me so I decided checkers will be my new hobby hahaha p.s have you talk to joe didnt want to bother him hope things will work out

have a failsafe but reciever hasn't working just found that out today but afoot of snow means I cant test it

Latest posts

Members online

Back