Octane V2 is coming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to say based on past releases that it could be a year possibly before it gets finalized and released.....

So, basically they moved the CDI to a separate box, reduced the two on/off switches to one (?) and simplified the battery box lid, and swapped that horrible "muffler" to something that, hopefully, will make a lot less noise.

Oh, yeah, and then they break in the engine at the factory, so they can rid all the flawed ones from start. Pretty poor yield att the factory, one can assume.

I will stick with v1 then if nothing important change and also the price factor hehe. Like moved CDI.
Is there also a change in power in v2?

What are the biggest changes in v2?

I think people will have different opinions on what is the biggest change, and I think it will depend on the noise with the new muffler.

In my opinion the changes mentioned are pretty equal, and no real big changes. Just updates on issues, bad designs etc. I'd be surprised if the didn't do something about the air filter, which I think wasn't mentioned.

I think however selling the car with a factory broken in engine will make the biggest difference for HPI, in reputation and sell-ability of the car. Hopefully they have also improved the engine manufacturing quality, giving HPI less problems breaking the engines in.

I'm really itching for a new RC, something that's not electric. The Savage Octane V2 certainly has my interest peaked, then again so does a Losi 5ive-T. :woot:

I'm really itching for a new RC, something that's not electric. The Savage Octane V2 certainly has my interest peaked, then again so does a Losi 5ive-T. :woot:
Get a V1 instead, it's bound to be a bargain, and by now we have it more or less figured out☺
I am already planning a mod to move the CDI between the carb and tank like on the V2. Should be a simple fix. Whether the new V2 pipe will be a good upgrade for the V1 as well remains to be seen. The CDI already works with LiPo and the steering servo is already replaced on mine and prepared for LiPo so it's only the throttle servo that I need to replace to go LiPo all the way. I'm already running the CDI on LiPo. Hmm perhaps i should fit the LiPo in the new cdibox as well, that needs to bet considered I realise now.

Get a V1 instead, it's bound to be a bargain, and by now we have it more or less figured out☺

Lol......

Unless i was buying used....and basically someone gave it to me for a steal, I wouldn't touch a v1 octane with a 10 foot pole.

Until the v2 proves itself I'd still go 5ive-t. The 5ive-t is a pretty solid RC.

I would go with the Losi 5T before wasting any money on an octane, I am of a mind not to ever entertain getting an octane v1 or v2 for that matter......

Part of what bugged me about the Baja 5B I had was the single speed and the shear mass of the thing. Going with an octane would probably be a good compromise for myself. Once I start seeing threads about "wow! THIS THING IS WICKED AWESOME!", then I'll look into it more. As it is, all you run across is all the "OMG! SHOOT ME NOW!" threads about all the issues.

Yes it is, but you'll need to replace a number of things including the engine.

Not necessarily. The only difference between V1 and V2 with the engine is that they will now break the engine in at the factory. So if your engine has no issue, then there is no reason to replace it.

Not necessarily. The only difference between V1 and V2 with the engine is that they will now break the engine in at the factory. So if your engine has no issue, then there is no reason to replace it.

Well it''s in that part a question of definition. The V2 has a factory broken in engine. Also, do you know for a fact that nothing has been changed? Not even quality things like piston/sleeve play tolerances?

Well it''s in that part a question of definition. The V2 has a factory broken in engine. Also, do you know for a fact that nothing has been changed? Not even quality things like piston/sleeve play tolerances?

No one but HPI knows at this point if there are internal changes. The point is that there is no reason to tell people that they will NEED to replace their engine based on possibilities.

That goes both ways.
Still, if you want a V2, you need a factory broken in engine. Also, we'll probably never be sure whether they changed something internal or not, unless they say they did and what they did.

There's no doubt, in my mind, the factory breaking in is due to all the issues seen with the car. Personally I think those issues are also connected with design and or manufacturing issues a well, and, hence, internal changes are likely to happen, without getting mentioned.

I just noticed on a video of the new V2 that it also has a modification from the V1 that I have already had to implement on mine. Nuts on the screws to fasten the exhaust pipe to the engine. The exisiting design with the screws threading into the alu pipe doesn't work; you can't tighten the screws hard enough to get it tight, it leaks. If you try to tighten it harder the alu-threads gives in.
At least this is my experience. With nuts it works fine. Or at least it has so far, I haven't had the opportunity to run mine that much due to all issues with the engine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back