Octane eating clutch gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F-Type

Hi

My octane is eating the clutchbell gears, the new one I got lasted about one tank.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Gravel getting in, or something else?

Bad mesh = too loose or too tight, either way can cause excess wear in the gears resulting in spur or bell damage...

I set mesh by feel and have never had any of my gears be torn up at all......so I have to think it is either luck or experience......

Bad mesh = too loose or too tight, either way can cause excess wear in the gears resulting in spur or bell damage...

I set mesh by feel and have never had any of my gears be torn up at all......so I have to think it is either luck or experience......

OK. What did was to use a paper, like the one ones included between the gears and then pressed the clutch gear against the spur and then tightened the engine.

But I guess I should be able to see on what is left of the clutch gear if it was to loose our to tight.

I have tried the paper method, it always seems to make the mesh too tight for my taste..... I set mine so there is just the slightest tick of play in between the gears. make sure to check around the gear in a few places especially if using a plastic gear because they are rarely completely true around the gear....

Made a manual adjustment today with the new bell, worked fine. I will skip the paper method from now on.
Today also the car made a wheelie all of a sudden, almost flipped over, big surprise, it is coming alive, a few more tanks and perhaps it is finally broken in :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back