Nylon Big Bores or Aluminum Big Bores ??

[I] [COLOR="Red"]Which Big Bores ??[/COLOR] [/i]

• • [B][I][COLOR="Red"]NYLON BIG BORES[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • • [B][I][COLOR="Red"]ALUMINUM BIG BORES[/COLOR][/I][/B]

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xll-SavageX-llx

★ CaNaDa Eh ★
Hey guys just wondering what the real "BIG" difference is between the NYLONs & ALUMINUMs, well beside the nylon and aluminum :lmao:

and filling shocks isn't my strong point so if there is a nice detailed thread here can someone post is please :)
Now before i drop $80 for the aluminum or $50 for the nylon is there any thing else i should know about these shocks before getting them ??

Thanks
- Brandon​

I believe the alum BB's come with a stronger shaft, they will be smoother when it comes to movement, but nothing that will affect performance.

I run the nylon ones since i was able to get a complete set for only 28$ off ebay, and i have no regrets going with them, ive outfitted all 3 of my savages with them

i have aluminum. theyre great. nylon wasnt available back when i bought them but if i were to buy them today id try the nylon. better price and good reviews from the guys.

I have the nylon ones and I don't know about the alum ones but mine tend to leak by the shaft more than I would like. I think shock covers would help this alot. When I rebuild them again I intend to get some covers for them and see how that works. Other than that I have no other complaints.

I haven't had any issues with mine leaking, although i did replace the o-ring when i removed the factory oils as soon as i got them. I would like to find a shock "boot" for these big bores, not a cover, but the boots to cover the shafts, if you find anything that will work savage01085 let me know please :)

I use the alum BB's, so they got my vote, only coz I got them from the USA for like 2/3rd's the UK RRP at the time. But if I were buying again I'd defo try the nylon version.

If you buy the nylon version do you still get the pack of various pre-load clips and different pistons that you get with the A720 alum version? I assume if you were to buy them from an eBay chopshop off a broken up Flux you wouldn't?

If you buy the nylon version do you still get the pack of various pre-load clips and different pistons that you get with the A720 alum version? I assume if you were to buy them from an eBay chopshop off a broken up Flux you wouldn't?

Yes, all 3 of my sets came with everything, tons of preload clips, 3 different sized pistons, replacement shaft ends, lower spring retainers, the spring retainers for the triple rate springs. Ive purchased all 3 of my sets from ebay.

Wow I didn't get that much with my A720's, just the pre-loads and pistons but no ends or any retainers.

Brandon you know that i got the nylon ones on my project truck! I explained how i filled them in there also and had a couple pics!

I voted for Aluminum. I run both aluminum on my Nitro racer and plastic on my FLUX. No problem on either the Plastic ones have about 1hr 40 min run time and the aluminum ones have 2 gallons on them. Both work great. I picked the aluminum cuz I like the look better but the price is better for very close to the same performance on the plastic ones. So if money is no problem go aluminum and if it's tighter any your looking for a great suspension upgrade go plastic.

I voted for Aluminum. I run both aluminum on my Nitro racer and plastic on my FLUX. No problem on either the Plastic ones have about 1hr 40 min run time and the aluminum ones have 2 gallons on them. Both work great. I picked the aluminum cuz I like the look better but the price is better for very close to the same performance on the plastic ones. So if money is no problem go aluminum and if it's tighter any your looking for a great suspension upgrade go plastic.

It's just with the stock ones with 30W when i land some times the caps pop off and all the oil goes all over the mill and stuff I'm not sure if it's because there plastic or there is to much pressure.. After June money will not be a problem.. I got a painting job for a company there is about 100 hours worth of work but it's going one colour so no primer :)

Thanks for the advise ..
+1 for agreeing on the looks rockout

Wow I have never had a probem with the plastic BB tops comming off yet. Seems something is wrong if this is happening.

It's just with the stock ones with 30W when i land some times the caps pop off and all the oil goes all over the mill and stuff I'm not sure if it's because there plastic or there is to much pressure..

sounds like overfilling. the caps on the alloy are same as the plastic body so you'll likely run into the same situation if you overfill either.

i use the plastic wilth hellfire shock caps and no problems whatsoever

The alum BB's come with better shafts and seals which make them smoother.
Not to mention the alum bodies are tougher. You get what ya pay for.
The plastic BB's are still a huge upgrade from stock from a performance standpoint.
Just my .02

they arent identical?

besides being alum. and palstic?

No they arent. The alum set come with gold coated shafts which are smoother and the coating is supposed to be harder which prevents pitting and scratching. I believe the orings are also of different material to enhance the smoothness. Not 100% on the o-rings though.

They are both superior to stock IMO.

It all comes down to what you want to spend and how you use the truck. If your a hardcore basher on a budget who breaks everything get the cheaper set. If you want ultimate performance or plan to race get the aluminum set. The weekest link seems to be the end caps which need to be upgraded on both.

IMO in actual use properly set up it would be hard to tell the difference between the two.

Latest posts

Members online

Back