now what

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage89

Me and my dad took my trucks out today both ran excellent we finished went to go fire them up again and his seemed to rev high and not move to fast I checked to see if it shifted which it did then I held it on the dirt to see if all 4 wheels spun which they did I cant figure this one out any possible clues???

its hard to say with out a lil more info on what its doing exactly. but with a guess ide say your slipper clutch is to loose the spur gear might need tightend up and it might be to late the pad behinde the spur gear might be toast along with the back side of the spur gear itself.give us a lil more info on the exauct way its acting and we can pin point it no prob .. good luck keep us informed .. bash on..

its hard to say with out a lil more info on what its doing exactly. but with a guess ide say your slipper clutch is to loose the spur gear might need tightend up and it might be to late the pad behinde the spur gear might be toast along with the back side of the spur gear itself.give us a lil more info on the exauct way its acting and we can pin point it no prob .. good luck keep us informed .. bash on..

I wish i could have gotten a video because its hard to explain but Its just reving unusually high and moving only maybe half of its top speed

sounds like its not even hitting second then ..once the trucks on the ground it has more weight on the wheels and takes more power to get to the propper rpm to engauge second gear... might need to be leaned out just slightly to hit the right rpm. just watch for good smoke... and as the day goes by the temps change and youll have to tune slightly to keep it maxed out with out boggn or leaning to much... tune tune tune .... hope it helps good luck bash on...

sounds like its not even hitting second then ..once the trucks on the ground it has more weight on the wheels and takes more power to get to the propper rpm to engauge second gear... might need to be leaned out just slightly to hit the right rpm. just watch for good smoke... and as the day goes by the temps change and youll have to tune slightly to keep it maxed out with out boggn or leaning to much... tune tune tune .... hope it helps good luck bash on...

I can hear it shift fine but it shifts then its almost like it doesnt want to go anywhere after that it only goes like 20MPH now how can you tell if the pad is bad on the spur I'm running the plastic one because the truck is mostly stock

What size clutch bell do you have it may be shifting to soon and the motor isn't at a high enough speed yet for second gear. As for the revinh high check for air leeks check your idle settings and LSN settings might be too lean down low check your clutch shoes as well if the motor is reving but not moving your clutch shoes might be shot.

If it was runnin fine then started acting up when you fired it back up there are only a couple things that come to mind right away either a slipper of clutches. To see whats slippin fire it up on the ground with the bumper against something and rev it up. Watch the flywheel and spur to see where the slipping is happening. If the flywheel is spinning faster than the clutch bell then is would seem like clutches. I do it that way to prevent tearing into things only to find out its something stupid that I didn't have to tear everything apart to find.

Also your spur gear will get blazing hot if it's slipping a ton. Mine was loose and doing this same thing. Reving properly but not getting up to speed. When I tightened it solved the problem. Your motor is spinning to max rpm but the spur gear is not going fast enough to engage all the gears if that makes sense.

Can you say burnt!
dsc01046t.jpg

lol i was right ... well good thing is its a cheap easy fix ... and its might be good idea to buy a few of um at the same time so you got back ups beings they are cheap... always good to have on hand.

eh I think I'm just gonna go steel the one I have on my other truck has been on there for 3 years now haven't had a problem yet

you should be able to still use the sg just peel off wats left of the slipper and clean it up a bit and slap on a new slipper pad. or use some duct tape as a slipper pad.

first post i mentioned the spur was toast... the one your going to put on .. just make sure its tight it should be fine .. the old one was just a tad to lose is why it spun. tighten till the spring is collapsed all the way then back it off around an 1/8 of a turn.good luck let us know how it goes... happy bashn....

you should be able to still use the sg just peel off wats left of the slipper and clean it up a bit and slap on a new slipper pad. or use some duct tape as a slipper pad.

The spur looks shot don't use it. Parts of the plastic are melted. Even if it was usable, ductape!? umno

Last edited by a moderator:
first post i mentioned the spur was toast... the one your going to put on .. just make sure its tight it should be fine .. the old one was just a tad to lose is why it spun. tighten till the spring is collapsed all the way then back it off around an 1/8 of a turn.good luck let us know how it goes... happy bashn....

Thanks for the info ill have to do that probably get one this weekend i have no time during the week

ive used duct tape for a slipper pad and it works pretty good, i just put 2 layers on it and cut it so that it fits the spur and put a hole in the center for the trans shaft. and you put the sticky side on the spur so its not what your thinking.

ive used duct tape for a slipper pad and it works pretty good, i just put 2 layers on it and cut it so that it fits the spur and put a hole in the center for the trans shaft. and you put the sticky side on the spur so its not what your thinking.

That was what I was thinking. If it worked for you that's alright. I never tried it so I won't bash the idea.

eh I think I'm just gonna go steel the one I have on my other truck has been on there for 3 years now haven't had a problem yet

steel spur gear is an awesome upgrade & you will love it (provided you use a vented racing c/b of course)

however, your slipper nut being adjusted loose appears to be the culprit here caz i can see the pad is spent but the teeth on your composite spur are fine.

correct the tension on the nut/spring & you'll be fine, if it comes loose & you run it, then you'll prob get the same result composite or steel.

Latest posts

Members online

Back