Note To All Flm Extended Chassis Owners!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE JUDGE

Morning all,

I wanted to make a separate thread about a problem I just encountered while working on my project, and it probably applies to anyone who has the FLM extended TVPs...

I had my motor sitting on the motor mount plate while mocking some linkages up, and noticed the motor mount didn't quite sit flat on the plate. I laid my straight-edge along it, and noticed the plate seemed to be bent at the first crossmember. Lo and behold, the plate drooped down quite a bit towards the rear...I removed the screws holding the plate to the rear crossmember, and the plate popped up a bit. Apparently the holes in the TVPs for the rear engine plate crossmember are drilled a touch too low. However, there is a very easy fix...

There was just enough room between the crossmember and the plate to slip a 3mm washer between the crossmember and plate under each screw hole. Once I put those in and tightened everything back down, the plate sat perfectly flat and level. Here's a pic with me pointing at where I put the washers:
flm045sh5.jpg

Everyone with an FLM chassis like this would be well advised to check this out, as this could easily tear up spurs and/or clutchbells if not taken care of. Somehow I seriously doubt I'm the only one with the holes drilled too low in this spot. I must also point out that this was the ONLY problem I have encountered so far with FLM's stuff, everything else is fantastic and I still highly recommend this upgrade.

"The More You Know..."
-Greg

That is exactly why I was having CB and Spur mesh issues! Thanks!

Reeeealllly...I didn't know that. It makes sense now though, I guess.

What did you do to resolve it, the same thing? I hope I'm not re-hashing old info that everyone already knows. If not, I'm sure glad to make sure this becomes known. That had me worried for a few minutes last night, and I still have a fair amount of work to do on the truck!

I actually added two 3mm washers under the engine itself, but this way will permanetly fix it and make it so I don't have to go through the hassle each time I take my motor off. Thanks GTO

No sweat Sean.

I agree, you don't really want the washers right under the motor mount...that won't let the plate spead the load of the engine evenly across the entire mount.

Ah, thats true also. Anyways, I would +Rep you but I have to spread some around, so for now thanks!

So much for high tech CNC machinery, the machine is only as good as the person who programed it ! If it was me I would not be happy with it. You pay good money on parts which are supposed to improve your truck, but then you have start using washers to make things fit............. not good !
I had issues with their hybrid bulkheads also. I had to take a file to them to get the shock towers to sit down and line up with the holes. They weren't even close !

I hear ya HopIt, and if I had more problems than that I might make an issue of it.

However, I come from a high-performance automotive background, and in that field, you pay a heck of a lot more for parts with way more fitment issues than these FLMs. My belief based on experience is, "There's no such thing as a bolt-on part." To me, 2 washers is nothing...you should have seen what I had to do to fit a $300+ Edelbrock Victor intake on my '69 GTO! :chainkiller:

I agree with hopit....I would be on the horn with them. I bought a FLM engine mount last week and it will not fit a big block engine unless you grind half of it off on the inside. Thanks to Bruce as SMF for refunding my money!

I don't think it is worth it, as long as it works for now I'm fine with mine. If it causes the plate to break, then I'll get on the horn, lol.

I actually added two 3mm washers under the engine itself, but this way will permanetly fix it and make it so I don't have to go through the hassle each time I take my motor off. Thanks GTO
Is this the set you sold me? If so I have run them with no washers for over 3 galls now on the same CB and spur. Thats odd... They were bad for you and fine for me.

Hey guys, I'm just at the end of my flm ext lcg mid-tank build & wanted to mention that FLM may have corrected this problem or maybe they just had a bad batch when you guys got your tvp's.
Thanks to the Judge's amazing work on his sav & threads, i checked my flm engine plate for square in relation to my spur gear & it was right on. Also, i unbolted the rear cross-member to see if the plate would 'spring up' as the judge's did when he noticed corrected the problem. it didn't spring up & seems to line up perfectly with great gear mesh.
Because i didn't run into this problem & need to put a spacer in there to correct, i changed the engine mount bolts to button heads & they fit perfectly under the tvp so there was no need to grind the tvp to make the engine slide into place and line up with the spur gear.
Thanks for all of your input on these threads guys, you can't imagine how much help i got from all of your experience here..:cheers:

hmm this has been a very informative thread, great work guys!!!

Hey Guys, i have to tell you again how greatful i am for all of your postings & help....being new & highly addicted to my savage i ran into situations while doing my build & every time i do , i take a quick run through the posts & someone has had the same problem, over come it with everyone's help & then made a walk through with photos to help out the next guy. I finally got my truck all back together last night but decided that i will post the pics after i paint my new pro line F-650 body, so stay tuned!bobang

Is this the set you sold me? If so I have run them with no washers for over 3 galls now on the same CB and spur. Thats odd... They were bad for you and fine for me.

i mean no disrespect here, but if sean tightened down the front bolts by accident with the plate being slightly off horizontal, then that may of caused the problem. i doubt that that is what happened, but its a possibility.

i mean no disrespect here, but if sean tightened down the front bolts by accident with the plate being slightly off horizontal, then that may of caused the problem. i doubt that that is what happened, but its a possibility.
Yea who knows what happend but the set he had are now mine and are 100% issue free... Freak think maybe IDK. All I would say if you have this issue take it apart and re do it. That was the fix here.

Members online

No members online now.
Back