not sure what is going on. need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducman82

so i finaly got my savy together (first ever nitro RC) and i had Robin at Extream make me a stage two Picco .28. it will some what idle but dies the second you open the throttle. when it does run fuel comes out the exhaust.. so I'm thinking rich.

being my first tune i set the mill to its base settings. (robin did a break in but I'm sure it needs to be adjusted), even then it wont idle. crack open the throttle, it might sputter. i tried the high idle screw a few 1/turns.. seams to help.... still dies when i give her some gas.

all i can say is i have blisters on my had from that pull start... wow. just a little ruff for my fist ever RC. kinda thinking brushless mod...... less hastle.... j/k

any tips here guys? glow plug is checked evertime and works like a champ. I'm just getting to wits end here.

so i finaly got my savy together (first ever nitro RC) and i had Robin at Extream make me a stage two Picco .28. it will some what idle but dies the second you open the throttle. when it does run fuel comes out the exhaust.. so I'm thinking rich.

being my first tune i set the mill to its base settings. (robin did a break in but I'm sure it needs to be adjusted), even then it wont idle. crack open the throttle, it might sputter. i tried the high idle screw a few 1/turns.. seams to help.... still dies when i give her some gas.

all i can say is i have blisters on my had from that pull start... wow. just a little ruff for my fist ever RC. kinda thinking brushless mod...... less hastle.... j/k

any tips here guys? glow plug is checked evertime and works like a champ. I'm just getting to wits end here.

I had a Picco .28 at one point and it did seem a little harder to tune then others. Your low end seems too rich. Nothing wrong with running rich unless it is bogging and stalling out. How many tanks have been put through the engine? Hang in there it will get easier with time and practice.

robin did 3 -4 tanks. and i just got the damn thing to stay running, so its going thru another tank now.

robin did 3 -4 tanks. and i just got the damn thing to stay running, so its going thru another tank now.

While robin would know better, I would tune for performance until around the gallon mark. If you need to lean the LSN out a tad to keep it running fine but don't tunne for performance yet. Let us know how it goes.

Pm robin I am suRe he would be happy to help. Sounds like you need to lean out the LSn some though and your HSn a little as well.

my prob is that i cant close the carb all the way it will die. should it not run with that closed? or how far should it be open for idle?

my prob is that i cant close the carb all the way it will die. should it not run with that closed? or how far should it be open for idle?

In that case you need to lean your idle out a little. That should solve the problem.

high or low idle? thats what throws me for a loop! :) thanks guys.. its on tank 3 now

so i got a few ideas from Robin. it will stay closed and idle for a few seconds or a min or two if it wants to. pops alot, makes me say its runnin lean, but plenty of fuel is puffin out. so its progress. tomorrow ill run a few more tanks at high idle and see if that helps it normal idle.

any ruff idea what RPM idle should be at?

As high as you can get it WITHOUT engaging the clutch. If you start getting it too high you will see the truck surging forward a little. Make sure your throttle set screw (idle screw) keeps the carb open 1-2mm when fully closed also.

Picco's don't need high idle, you can chug them right down and still have explosive take off. It's just a matter of getting the carb set up right, won't be long now and it will be rippin :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back