Not forced air induction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willvilla65

Hello I am new to mostly everything about nitro. I seen a video online where someone added a small fan to blow air at the savage air filter and this man went on about how he got extra speed and the engine stayed cooler, so i got to thinking and came up with something. Something is what I would call it at this point. So I got some tiny fans from amazon two for eight bucks. I bent some metal into a square tube about three inches in length. Hot glued a fan at fan at each end, placed some foam in between to act as an air filter and ran the wires out the front. I placed a funnel to get that going into the carb and it seems like a made a ugly turbo. I also ordered a receiver switch. I plan on hooking the fans to channel three to engage this ghetto turbo. I think it would take in air as normal and when I hit top speed I could hit channel three to see if it improves speed. Switch should come in today and I'll most likely test Wednesday the 18th. If anyone is wants to know how it turns out I try to update. Sorry for the length of this post.

Attachments

• 20180416_130803.jpg
    20180416_130803.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It's an interesting thought that I would like to see your results on. An "electric turbo" has started to be used on a few high end sports cars, so there is precedence here.

One thing you need to keep in mind though, if you are running the same tune for with and without "turbo", you will run into a lean condition with the "turbo". Perhaps do a run without, then retune with "turbo" on and run again. Otherwise the results may be skewed.

Please make sure to post up some pictures of your setup!

It's an interesting thought that I would like to see your results on. An "electric turbo" has started to be used on a few high end sports cars, so there is precedence here.

One thing you need to keep in mind though, if you are running the same tune for with and without "turbo", you will run into a lean condition with the "turbo". Perhaps do a run without, then retune with "turbo" on and run again. Otherwise the results may be skewed.

Please make sure to post up some pictures of your setup!
I really do thank you for just your interest. The advice is greatly appreciated. I was thinking the same. Maybe I'll end up making her little richer not sure yet I want to play it by ear. The fan aren't strong at all but I do think it will help. I'm also getting FLM LCG extended chassis later this week. Can't wait.

Welcome to OUR addiction.
Thanks... I think lol. While I'm on odd subjects have you ever heard of anyone coating a piston with ptfe (Teflon ) The only info I have so far is that it would be bad to do both the piston and sleeve due to gumming effects and a high starting price of 150.00. Any info?

You might be better served at cryogenicly treating the internal parts vs coating them. Not sure how teflon would hold up in the combustion chamber. Maybe on the crank journal/con-rod to make them more slippery as they don't see the heat the sleeve/piston do, so at least you might get some benefit out of it getting the fuel to the cylinder.[/URL]

You might be better served at cryogenicly treating the internal parts vs coating them. Not sure how teflon would hold up in the combustion chamber. Maybe on the crank journal/con-rod to make them more slippery as they don't see the heat the sleeve/piston do, so at least you might get some benefit out of it getting the fuel to the cylinder.

I have to agree with olds97, some years ago when I was attempting to get my 80mph jacket patch I explored this very topic. Co workers and injuneers talked me out of ptfe and dry film thermal coatings in favor of cryoing my reciprocating components. It was an OPS 90 with exhaust throttle, tuned pipe, custom venturi stack. There is a long story associated with the outcome but in summary I got my patch 83.6 downwind and 82 upwind. Tolerances were so close that preheating and loosening the plug was required for every start.

Use a 3rd channel to remotely richen the carb with any power adders. As well as a telemetry temp sensor to save yourself some shrapnel damage from lean conditions. That will get you some data and warning in your pursuit of the elusive SPEED+.

First I would like to thank everyone for the for adding to this thread. Now I have to say you guys hit it on the head. Upon forcing air into the engine the outcome was just a richer mixture which is bad after spending time to get your tune just right. Dumb of me to even try. In the process I did get a receiver switch that does work easily. On a different note the FLM extended low center gravity chassis are awesome. I pulled the spacers from the shocks and wow. Mostly all flipping problems are gone. I did find a company that will coat the piston for about 41 bucks. I'll be doing that in the future. This company coats pistons for race cars and have been it for years. I'm told I'll get my piston back in a week or two. I'll be updating my PTFE thread with the info about that. For the time being I'm giving up on not forced air induction lol. Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back