Noob nitro savage 2 speed shift question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkamile07

Hey all.. running my first nitro(have previous experience with original emaxx). Got a used savage x 4.6. Got it broke in and tuned.. temps r good. Blew up the steering servo and replaced it. Have ran about 2 quarts throught it. And starting to get the hang of it.. but...

I don't think the tranny is shifting past first. Or its shifting into second right after i give it throttle. I don't know. I read manual and understand how to change shift points.

From a stop. I gas it and rarely it will wheelie but always spin the tires in dirt. As it speeds up i cannot hear or tell that it is shifting into 2nd. Without a gps I'm guessing at wot its going a good 25-30 mph and the tires start to baloon a bit.

Does this sound like its going into second way too soon or its not even hitting second? Is there a default adjustment like screw it all the way in and back it out 2 turns? I'm not sure how previous owner had it set up. I have been reading up and watching vids on shifting but mine doesnt wind up shift and wind up. It just seems to wind up. Maybe its going into second so quick i cannot hear it. How fast will they go if just stuck in first gear? Any shift point tuning advice would be appreciated thanks.

I'd have to hear it to know. It's not very fast in first gear, so odds are, your hitting 2nd.

What's the clutch bell tooth count and spur tooth count?

Could just be that your slipper is slipping when it shifts and is taking up all the "hit" you normally would hear when it shifts. When things are adjusted right, you definitely hear the shifting happen per the engines RPM's.

It has 15/49 gears on it at the moment. I have been playing with it and have figures that it is shifting way too soon at 15% throttle or so. The noise at such low throttle had been disguising the shift to my noob ears. I did find in the manual a default setting for the trans. Screw it in all the way then back it out a few turns. I didn't see that the first few times I looked. Thanks for the help!

15/49 should get you in the mid-30's in second gear I'd think. It would be pretty slow in first.

Be careful when you screw the set screw in. You don't want to damage the spring it's compressing. I'd just turn it in 1/2 turn at a time until you end up stuck in first, then back it off 1/8th of a turn until it's shifting where you want.

Latest posts

Members online

Back