Noob engine opening

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mekios

I got my mills head off for the first time, just out of curiosity to see what's going on in there.

Here are the pics (piston pic a bit blurry)

button_head.jpg

piston_sleeve.jpg

The button looks ok (i think) but the piston is black!!! Is that normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
sometimes the piston will look like thst cuz it could be on the rich side or its to lean but most of the time it do to it being rich.just my .02

i wouldnt, but just wait for crash or purenitro to chime in on this one

The noob i got my used Hellfire from on the bay bashed it on the street, & the K-HO looks like that on the inside. Still has decent pinch & seemingly ok power. I'm interested to see what these guys that know mills have to say about Mekios mill so....Bump!

IMO

cleaning the top of the piston would be fine as long as your careful not
to remove material from the piston top.

remove it from engine and soak it in some fuel overnite. use a soft bristle brush to clean it off.

I aree with Crash on this but it could be left alone as well if you are worried about it. It just tarnished from the explosion of the air/fuel mixture igniting along with burnt excess fuel and oil. Think of all the carbon build-up on the inside of your 1:1 car engine.

That's blacker than normal thought.

Another guy, here in greece, told me that it's probably of the dye they use in fuel. Mine is pink or red, and i also use after run oil once a week which is also red.

Is there any chance that this is caused by lean conditions? The sleeve is clean (silverish??)

Another guy, here in greece, told me that it's probably of the dye they use in fuel.

I noticed this on my NTC3 engine a long time ago when I was running Blue Thunder. The piston head had a blue tint on it.

The black stuff on your piston head is just carbon build up. As long as there is no pitting, you should be fine.

could be form lean condtions. but most likely just carbon bulid up . what fuel and plug you using probly changeing to a diffrent plug will help

I wouldn't tear it apart just to clean the piston, but it may be a good time to take it apart and check things like your main bearing, wear on the rod bushings and just a general inspection of the internals. The main bearing is the important one, if it starts to go, the engine will soon follow.

Nitro fuel is not a clean burning fuel like straight alcohol, once you add in the lube (synthetic/castor) dyes, anti foaming and anti rust agents, (after run oils, Sidewinder) etc. All these additives "can" cause a build up on the piston. Another thing to consider is the flow of an engines internals, most rtr engines don't have huge amounts of time invested to get the perfect flow into the cylinder. This can result in an uneven burn pattern resulting in deposits on the piston. Either way it's nothing serious, run it and have a blast:jamout:

I got my mills head off for the first time, just out of curiosity to see what's going on in there.

Here are the pics (piston pic a bit blurry)

The button looks ok (i think) but the piston is black!!! Is that normal?

if u want to take close pics switch ur cam to macro mode and hold the cam abit far then zoom in :)

The engine seems ok. I didn't clean it but it runs ok. Do we have a noob guide to open up the engine? Haven't done it, and i think it's time to do so.

OK sleeve and piston are out!
Now i am soaking the piston in fuel?
Can i clean the sleeve and head button to with some fuel?

Ok guys many thanks on your advice.
I cleaned my piston, though it was a little tricky to get the mill apart (some people in here know of my probs). After all i am still a noob, and it was my first time. Now i know...
The piston didn't clean completely, it still has some residue but i guess it's ok.

Latest posts

Members online

Back