no wheelies with the LRP 28?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkattack99

well i got my lrp 28 all broke in and and believe have a pretty good tune on her as well she sounds nice and finally got the temps down to reasonable. but my savage won't wheelie, now i don't like alot of wheelies but it is cool to do so sometimes. now could the xl length have something to do with it, or maybe my super mudder tires? or is the engine just not at full potental yet, or should that even matter? maybe i don't have as good a tune as i think i do, any help as to what might cause this will be help full, cause who needs a wheelie bar if theres no wheelies,:dunno:. i will try and get a video of her running then maybe you can hear and see if i have a good tune or not.

shark

I think you need to turn your LSN clockwise ,(this one) -->
017540331-big.jpg

It determines how fast the fuel from the carb enters the engine itself. And by finding that sweet spot you can turn your mill into a real wheelie beast. I might be wrong , but that's what makes my 6 gallon mill still wheelie on command. I hope I was able to help. :beer:

well i got my lrp 28 all broke in and and believe have a pretty good tune on her as well she sounds nice and finally got the temps down to reasonable. but my savage won't wheelie, now i don't like alot of wheelies but it is cool to do so sometimes.
now could the xl length have something to do with it,
yes. more length = more weight & leverage working against the rear tire. but this truck will wheelie with that mill.

or maybe my super mudder tires?
i don't know these tires but "super mudder" sounds big & bigger tire gonna change your gear ratio more toward top end.

or is the engine just not at full potental yet, or should that even matter?
yes. that lrp is gonna take a gallon or more to run itself in; although it will still rip, i wouldnt performance tune your LSN (or HSN) for rpm that isnt there yet.

All of these factors make a difference; let's ask a couple more questions: what clutchbell & spur gear you got? is it midtanked and if so which tank?

& yes, your tune will affect it too. lets see what gearing you run & maybe you can get a vid. nice choice on mills btw.

yes as frddyj said the xl length and the big mudder tires would play a part in it sometimes if its a big tire a gear change is needed..

Nice mill. Freddy has you covered. But it should flip the truck over no problem if its tuned right. That's a mean mill right out of the gate. But give it time to break in a little more then start fine tubrung it. My heavy metal truck has a lrp in it and its heavy and will back flip wHen the tractions there its extended with a 250cc midtank. So just give it time to reach its potential but does sound like it might be running a tad fat still. Witch it should be for the first gallon anyways IMO. I seen the supper mudders they can't be as heavy as my belted big Joes on axial oversized bead locks. Just take it easy on the mill for awhile but tube it a tad more. Good luck.

Are your tires grabbing or spinning? If your getting tire spin the truck will not wheelie. I have a set of Goliaths that spin a little off of a hard launch and the truck will not wheelie with them. I can put the Terra-pins back on and it flips on it's back on command. No amount of power or clutch friction will make your truck wheelie if your tires won't hook up. If I remember right the Super Mudders have a similar style tread as the Goliaths, watch closely and listen, you should be able to tell if they are slipping Even if it is only right at the launch it can be enough, in a stretched truck, to keep the front end down. I say try a tire with some sort of pin-type tread or some Badlands.

Last edited by a moderator:
well to answer your questions I'm running a 49 spur(was 47 but it rubbed on my brake pads) and 17 clutch bell and an 18 on stand bye, my clutch shoes are Fioroni Blue Glass "Turbo Twin" Sliding Clutch + Clutch Shim and the flywheel to catch, no its not mid tanked.

about the tire spin i will have to look and see i don't remember it didn't have any trouble doing wheelies when it was BL with those tires, as i can remember i will check that out hope to run it today.

my slipper has been tightened then backed off a 1/2 a turn like it says in the manual, still seems tight though.

hope i got all your questions asked.

shark

I remember hearing 1/8 to 1/4 turn also. I run mine all the way tight, but I'm gonna try the 1/8 to 1/4 turn out since I have started getting some big air lately and last time out I damaged a rear diff.

The slipper might be the problem. Its to lose at a 1/2 turn. Tighten it all the way down then back it off a 1/8 turn. I run all mine at that. I think 1/2 is way to lose. Let some other guys chime in on it see what they run at. Good luck.

+1 & when you crank down the slipper nut, really crank it down till the spring is compressed all the way before you back it off.

everything else seems like its ok my gearing my clutch shoes, just need to tighten my slipper clutch a little be more then? i will try that and see if it works

:( can't watch it on a iPhone. Hope you get it figured out man. How is the truck set up though. You can set a truck up not to wheely even with the most insain motor

well how do you mean setup, gearing? which is 17/49 and if i did happen to set it up that way is was completely by acceident, lol. well let me put it on youtube see if you can then.

loose the blue glass and get carbon shoes for that clutch

they didn't have any they were out of stock had to get the blue ones. there 50/50 works for what i want to do though, but why are the carbon ones better?

but even with a stock clutch and 49sg and 17cb it should wheelie but i think your problem is that it is not fully broken in yet it doesn't really wake up until the 1 gallon mark

and i almost had it through it first gallon of fuel till i stripped my spur gear, lol. so the tune sounds ok then?

and I'm thinking that the odonnell 30% fuel I'm using doesn't have a high enough oil content to let me lean the motor out enough for me to get some real power out of it, or does that matter?

if the motor is not fully broken in you cant tune for performance because the engine still doesn't spin enough rpms. i would keep it a little rich for now and don't try to get a performance tune yet

It's lean on top and bottom, going to 30% means you would richen up the needles, not lean them more. Richen them up so you have some smoke, I don't see any from bottom to top. By the sounds of the engine, you should see a gain in power from richening the tune.

Members online

Back