No what I wanted to do... Water Heater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiteRida

Basher in training...
Walked out in the garage to find the hot water heater leaking...... urrghh. NOT what I wanted to do today. It's leaking at the lower part of the tank AND at the outlet connection. It's 1994 model, so it's done it's time.

I just wanted to complain. Off to Lowe's to buy one..........

I'm just glad it's not in the attice like most of them are in our neighborhood. That would then mean ceiling damage also from the water leakage...

Jon.

hope ya don't have to pass a hobby shop on the way to lowes with a pocket full of water-heater money

LOL have fun bud.. at least its not Monday morning and your on your way to work!! Vent anytime...

Well. I bought (I think) everything I need today (Saturday). I will start it first thing in the morning (Sunday). I didn't want to get 1/2 way through it and need something and not be able to finish b/c the store was closed.

I also notice that the supply block valve was leaking... The nice builder didn't leave too much pipe (copper) sticking through the wall before it goes in to the block valve on the supply side. So, tomorrow I will also learn how to solder copper pipe and fittings. Hopefully without burning my drywall.... I bought some extra pieces to practice on first....

The kids are bathed and in bed, so back out to the garage and getting the "job" ready...

soldering is easy. just take your time and sand it shiney with a rough finish on the outside of the pipe and the inside of the fitting. heat it up real good and the solder goes right in.

soldering is easy. just take your time and sand it shiney with a rough finish on the outside of the pipe and the inside of the fitting. heat it up real good and the solder goes right in.

Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking it's alot like solding wire, which I'm pretty handy at.

Been there, done that. Mine was in the attic. If you can soilder wire, copper is a breeze. Just make sure you get the water out of the area your working on. If not it wont let the joint suck in the soilder.

I bought a 12 yr 50 gallon Whirlpool at Lowe's today. Well, I'm sitting here searching the internet with the model number... I then find all kinds of stuff about "class action lawsuit", pilot issues (constantly going out, etc.).... Not good. So, now I'm searching on the GE models sold at Home Depot. The GE's seem pretty good. Anything seems better than the Whirlpool ratings.. I'm glad I didn't unbox it. I'll be at Lowe's in the morning when the doors open... and then heading the Home Depot.

O man lol ! I never would have even looked it up. Your a big step ahead of me 4 sho. and yea sweating pipes is a breeze. Do a few so you see how much solder to use you don't want to over do it and put solder in the pipe. It is minuet, but lead never the less and very easy to over do.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't forget the flux for sweating your joints. and try to find a water heater with a brass drain valve makes the manufacturer recommended yearly flush safer ive had way to many of those plastic ones just snap off in my hand.

don't forget the flux for sweating your joints. and try to find a water heater with a brass drain valve makes the manufacturer recommended yearly flush safer ive had way to many of those plastic ones just snap off in my hand.

Thanks for the tips. I did all of that. My old unit had a plastic drain valve. This GE unit has a brass valve.

Now all I have left is the clean up...

Everything just seems to take WAY longer than you think it will...

Latest posts

Members online

Back