no speed to 3 speed ! Maybe!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.LO's SAVAGE X

well , was going through parts bin today, getting ready for spring beating, and found my 1st 3 speed sitting there apart. I think my first gear is gone, I remember giving it gas and nothing happened. Well I know everything about savages but not the trannies. never dug into one. My question is, am I correct and maybe someone has a replacement part no. and tooth count, to make sure I get the right replacement gear. and maybe somewhere I can get ahold of instructions on this. I need a back up 3 speed, and trannies are disappearing online. Obama s fault I bet! sincerely,,,,,,, Not spinning my tires!

Well , I'm not sure, I remember when I got 3 speed kit in box, it had 3 speed assembly instructions, I have my owners manual, I guess my main thing is not sure what to look for as far as part number or if I could use 1st gear out of original 2 speed tranny, have 2 or 3 of those laying around.. that would be good. thanks for quick response, ill check the manual.

well, looked at weather today and looks like rain next 7 out of 8 day.I'm going to have to finish breaking in sons buggy, then try and finish tune 2 savage X" s. I keep seeing from time to time used savage nitro s converted to brushless on ebay, been thinking about getting one, just apprehensive about some one elses build quality

Yea me too I look almost every day but same thing i don't want someone else's problems. But really love to have a second savage.

Well, got truck tuned today, finally, was worried about a half tank lean problem, but was none with this picco boost .28 turbo motor, then went inside, grabbed used 3 speed that wasn't working and put it in my savage and it worked. I think the reverse set up in that tranny went out so now I have a back up 3 speed. Then I tore diffs apart and put in plenty red bearing grease in them, she is ready to rock now.

Went crazy with the grease on the ring gear there, I use an old toothbrush to coat the gears with some red tacky grease, any more than that it just flings it off and all over the inside of the case....

yes theres plenty there, when I'm in the field and swap diffs for some reason, I have plenty grease in there to use carrying grease is messy. sometimes I run for a coiuple days ,away from home so that's why.

now works done so truck gets fully cleaned. these pics sure magnify dirt! I'm ashamed!!!!

Thats how I greased my trans gears, did same thing with diffs but cant find the silly pic....

Well, maybe some one has some insight on my 1st 3 speed, I found out the 3 speed cluster is all good, what went out in the tranny was the lower output shaft the outdrive bolts too in the bottom of trans, it had the week reverse module set up, my question is, and I cant remember, its been years, if I purchased another 2 speed x tranny , would I be able to drop the 3 speed cluster right in and work? any help and insight would be great!

Yes and no I tried the same thing there's three gears on the main shaft that the spur gear slides onto you'll need that 3rd gear as well. Other than that yes it'll work.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back