No shock oil (RTR)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selfishson

Today I kept busy buy installing, hpi phaltline wheels and tires, hpi aluminum tuned pipe, and HPI firm shock springs. This truck looks great, unfortunately I am having a great deal of trouble trying to upload photos to prove that. Anyways, I purchased firm shock springs because I felt that the suspension was really loose, I would hardly push down on the truck and it would bottom out. So I thought it would be wise to purchase firm springs. While installing them I noticed that the spring were not the issue, the issue was that only two shocks had oil in them and this is supposed to be a ready to run truck. Has this happened to anyone else that purchased an RTR. If so is there anything else to double check before I start the break in process and bashing. I love the truck but I guess who ever assembled it had a bad day, or a hangover day. Anyways let me know what you think.

Haven't heard of that before. Call HPI and tell them, they will probably hook you up with some free shock oil for your trouble. Do you have a photobucket account? They are free and it makes sharing photos super easy. That's what I have had for a while now, and I was a complete noob at posting photos when I started it. Makes it really easy, you just copy and paste the IMG code text from your PB pic to your reply and the website does the rest. Can't wait to see it, good luck.

is there anything else to double check before I start the break in process and bashing.

yep:
1. give your wheel nuts a crank down.
2. check your gear mesh, put washers on the screws that hold your motor mount & crank em down tight.
3. get a 6 pt socket & crank your slipper nut down all the way tight (till spring is compressed fully) then back it off 1/8 turn.
4. buy & install a failsafe if your using the stocker Tx/Rx.
5. go over all the screws on the truck & make sure they're tight. even the ones that bolt on your cooling head.

get in the habit of checking these things regularly.

Thanks Londoner for the truck compliments, and thanks for the the important tips frddyj.

ha ha don't even have the engine sticker off yet and already hopping it up,yep your hooked !!!lol nice savy!!!!

BTW if you copy the link on your PB pic that starts and ends with one of these--->

Ohhh one more thing you might want to do when you got your shocks off and refilling them. Do the shock mod. You'll be happy with the less roll overs it prevents. Look up the how to under my name I took pictures and step by step instructions. Ide post the link but I can't do it from my phone sorry. Good luck. Bash on.

Thanks for all the good advice guys. Purchased some 40wt oil and filled up the shocks. I filled the shocks right up to the top. Not sure if I did this correct but it takes alot of pressure to push shock piston all of the way in, and a couple wont go all of the way. Is this ok or should I remove some oil. According to the manual it appears the oil is all the way to the top. Thanks Again for all of your help.

That's not the right way to do it. First you need to take some the oil out. Then pull the shaft all the way down. The oil should be about half an inch from top at this point. Then push the shaft up and back down several times slowly to get the air bubbles out. Then go ahead and put oil up to the top of the shock body leave it about an 1/8 inch from the top with the shaft pushed all the way up then place the top of the shock back on should feel smooth and go all the way up with out any force then when released it shouldn't push the piston back down at all. If it feels to stiff take lil more oil off the top. If it feels to soft like a air bible in it add more oil after getting the air bubble out. But don't leave it the way they are now it will blow the seals out or bend shafts. Good luck. Hope this helps you out.

Thx Scott. Couldn't post it myself from my phone. Hopefully ill be getting a computer back up online soon thx to tone. Hooking me up on payday.

No problem max was just helping you out bud!!

Thanks, I made sure to remove all the air bubbles by moving shaft up and down and also let sit for a bit. When I put the cap back on shock, the shock should be fully extended right.

Mike it's so true. I just removed a couple pin drops worth of oil and it made a lot of difference. I think I got them working pretty good now. thanks again for all of the help.

Latest posts

Members online

Back