No low end torque! Is my motor a lemon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory976

No matter what I do I cannot get my savage X with a 4.1 Big Block to even come close to pulling a wheelie!:mad: Everyone says to just keep leaning the LSN out till it does but it really does'nt do much. When I do keep leaning it more and more, it just cuts out while accelerating, so I know I'm going too lean. The HSN is set great, good power at the top end there! But it takes forever to get there! It accelerates so slowly that it looks like grandma in her Buick taking off from a stop light:eek:

I'm thinking of taking it to my hobby shop and telling them " Just call me when you got it doing wheelies!" cause this is just rediculous. I have a 15tooth clutch bell, 49 Spur, the slipper clutch is locked down. I'm using 20% Odonnel fuel, and an MC 59 plug and live in Colorado at 5280 feet above sea level. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The LSN may be too rich. I would recommend temp-tuning too. That way you know when you are at optimal performance, or when your temps are too high.

How tight is your slipper also what gearing are you running and you may want to use stiffer springs on the back.

I promise you wheelies are not that fun except for the first few times, I love my Revo but I can't keep the front tires on the ground with it it pops on take off and then it pops again when I hit second gear.

Slipper : Locked down
Gearing : 15/49
Fuel: 20% O'Donnel
Plug : McCoy MC 59
Shock oil : Stock 40wt
Pipe : HPI chrome tuned polished pipe
Altitude : 5800 ftabove sea level
Temps -Engine 250-275 degrees

Remember, everything you do to the LSN, you have to do the exact opposite to the HSN. 1/8 turn lean on LSN go 1/8 turn rich on HSN.

i added a lot of spacers to the shocks and it made mine wheelie,and i think you could try setting your lsn to when you do a pinch test it shuts off in about 3 or 4 secs when the engines warm,then use your hsn to tune to temp like xjeepguy said

I think that it should do them without moving the LSN because i have never touched mine on my savage x, just the high speed needle, and it does wheelies whenever i want it to.

Cory976 said:
Gearing : 15/49

Try running a 15/52 gear setup, you may be geared to high and loosing some low end gear. On my .25 p&p I run this setup and will pull wheelies fairly easy, sometimes if I don't watch it my savvy will flip over on wheelies. Or you may even try a 15/50, or a 15/51.

you live pretty high up so your needle settings would probably be more sensitive than most.

my sav x is all stock apart from the lrp tuned polished pipe (pretty much the same as the hpi polished) lsn is flush (standard) hsn is approx. 2 turns in from flush. mine pops wheelies on demand using 20% AT racing fuel

if its new take apart hte clutch, clean it and the bell, scuff shoes and bell, new ones will have oil in it because of the bearings

also re tune, start form factory settings, do both needles not just one then the other. temp tune for high speed passes, but don't hold throttle for more then 3-5 seconds at full not good for the engines really

tuning is a sinch if u live near me ill help you out

i broke in my engine by all needles flush (factory for k4.1), low-mid rpm for 4 tanks, turn hsn in 1/8. slightly higher rpm's for another 2 tanks then started tuning for performance. 1/8 turn in of the hsn per tank. i have had no problems what so ever with mine, still has s**t loads of compression starts 1st turn of the roto-start every time. i have ran approx. 15 litres (bit over 3gallons) of fuel through it

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back