No grease inside gearbox right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Servohead

there was grease in my gearbox when I disassembled it the first time... That was when I found the blown slipper clutch plates... Previous owner I thought put grease in it and shouldn't have?
What is proper?

Ya transmission is meant to be run dry. I like to put a small amount of white grease just on the teeth.

Thanks! That's what I thought... Clutches like this need to be dry in my estimation... Checked the manual and it doesn't show grease but figured I'd check here with the pros to be sure

The manual doesnt show grease as they don't have any from the factory. However, a small amount on the gears wont hurt it(it'll help it). Just don't over do it.

look at this mess just got the truck

Attachments

• 0314172205a.jpg
    0314172205a.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 28
oh my goodness, terrible mess. I don't know, gas or thinner in ventilated area soaking and new bearing and that's all hopefully, yes, no fluid or grease

Hpi parts are scarce, they have been sold to another company, will take awhile to ramp up production, if you don't have owners manual to see what bearings you need, visit hpi Web site, they have it there. If that's what you need, if your looking for tranny, ebay is best bet. Or maybe some one here has one for sale

there was grease in my gearbox when I disassembled it the first time... That was when I found the blown slipper clutch plates... Previous owner I thought put grease in it and shouldn't have?
What is proper?

I took apart my gearbox as i stripped my idler gear. Upon further inspection it seems the pads may need to be replaced. My truck is original from factory and there was grease inside so I figured after taking the broken teeth out from the idler gear that I would grease it up again. But you guys figure no grease is needed? Could the grease be the issue as to why my truck won't move after i reassembled it? It seems things are just slipping so I was thinking the pads are toast but maybe its just the grease?

Could be that the grease got where it shouldn't. Having the slipper inside like that is kind of retarded. I've never seen an XS in person, so not sure how things are oriented.

I use wax based lube in my transmissions. Something like white lightning bicycle chain lube. Shake the bottle, wet down all the gears and let it dry. I use the same stuff on all my cvd's, dog bones and spurs/cb teeth. Doesn't attract dirt, stays where you put it, and adds a decent amount of lube where it's needed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back