Nitrous Injection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShiftPoint

Has anybody ever tried one of these, or any other N02 injection on there savage. Soundl like it would be pretty cool just to have the extra power when you want it. they have the momentary switch installed so it is depressed when you go to full throttel but I think it would be nice to install a micro servo and have the boost on a button. they claim 20% to 45% power increase.

http://www.rbinnovations.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/34?osCsid=10f633b1ba86bfb2e6a74ba8d2cdf341

I am really tempted to get one of these (talk me out of it), the fuel cells are high from them but I found them a lot cheaper, like $9 for a box of 24 cells instead of the $34 bucks for 30 of them.

Here are some pics of the system installed, figured I would add them to the first post.

this first pic is the switch, it is called a Picoswitch and can be bought here http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=828&catid=70 it is nice because they plug right into the rx and is small enough to fit in the front of the radio box easily. I am going to attached the female connector and will do the same with the male on the N20 injector so it is removable. I also put a peice of heat shrink around the switch just to protect it from getting shorted out (not shown in picture

100_2655.jpg

here is it installed in the radio box
100_2656.jpg

and what it looks like installed
100_2659.jpg

this is the wiring diagram and extra componets needed.
n20_circut1.JPG

I will update the post again after I run it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe mega has run one before...or maybe that was just the supercharger...I'm pretty sure someone on here has run them though...

Has anybody ever tried one of these, or any other N02 injection on there savage. Soundl like it would be pretty cool just to have the extra power when you want it. they have the momentary switch installed so it is depressed when you go to full throttel but I think it would be nice to install a micro servo and have the boost on a button. they claim 20% to 45% power increase.

http://www.rbinnovations.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/34?osCsid=10f633b1ba86bfb2e6a74ba8d2cdf341

I am really tempted to get one of these (talk me out of it), the fuel cells are high from them but I found them a lot cheaper, like $9 for a box of 24 cells instead of the $34 bucks for 30 of them.

Befor RB Innovations had the NOS system I tried rigging one up to a nitro motor and it was totaly sick!!!! Adding NOS is one of the best ways to boost your power. A long time ago Raido Shack use to sell a small Micro NOX torch that used nitrous and butane to create a supper hot flame useing the same small cylinders that RB use for their system. I went WAY over board with what I did and kicked my buddys but in a race but the down side was total destruction of my engine to the point that it looked like someone threw a hand granade in it. You wont have that problem with the RB system because they have a metering device that controlls the rate of NOS going into the engine. I am thinking of getting one for my savage running my super charged engine.

I love to blow things up!!!!!!!

yes i've read that as well "that nitrous is really hard on engines" but alot of fun while they last lol

I used to have one of those torches, actually I was trying to find one to buy not too long ago. that thig was hot a miny welding torch.

I was wondering about how bad they were on the motor, that is one reason I think I would want to rig up another servo instead of having it switch on ever time you go to full throttle. they do sell different reed valvs that are for different amounts of gas to the carb.

I think Iam going to get me one of these systems (you guys arent helping talk me out of of it), I ve always thought it would be fun to have a N02 system on my real car, this is the next best thing, actually better. not risking my 1:1 motor or messing myself up ina wreck.

If i had the money and a spare engine laying around...I would definitely try this one!

Well guys, you didn't talk me out of it. so its your fault :)

I ordered one :istupid: from Tower, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPXU3&P=ML

I wanted the polished alu one but went with the blue just cause it is anodized, figured it would offer a little more protection, st least in the threaded part.

I will try to borrow a video camera and take some video when I get it. the sound stooped working on my camera. I want to make sure and get it on film when it blows up :) got to have sound for that...

first I have to figure out whats wrong with my otor, doesn't ift figure, first time I have a weird problem with my motor, right after I ordered the injector... sign to come

Well guys, you didn't talk me out of it. so its your fault :)

I ordered one :istupid: from Tower, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPXU3&P=ML

I wanted the polished alu one but went with the blue just cause it is anodized, figured it would offer a little more protection, st least in the threaded part.

I will try to borrow a video camera and take some video when I get it. the sound stooped working on my camera. I want to make sure and get it on film when it blows up :) got to have sound for that...

first I have to figure out whats wrong with my otor, doesn't ift figure, first time I have a weird problem with my motor, right after I ordered the injector... sign to come

YEAH BABY!!!! JUICE THAT LITTLE SUCKER!!!!

If you have any questions or need some advise feel free to send me a PM.

I'm really looking forward to watching the vids of it wister!! and hear how much of a power increase you notice!!

Thanks, I might take you up on that.

I am curius abou the power increase, I don't even know why I bought it, these are so much power already. I am thinking a lot will depend on which reed I have installed, It comes with a S2 which lets the least gas through, the s3 is 30% more, s4 is 30% more than s3 and s5 is another 30% more, I think eventually I will get the S5 reed, it says it is for short runs like drag races. and will slightly shorten the life of the glow plug. I am just geting it for a novility item, something to hit every once in a while to show off,, knowing myself I will probably end up with no reed in it hehe at least when I think the motor has had it and is ready to be replaced anyway..

here is the chart they have on the site

nitrous12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I might take you up on that.

I am curius abou the power increase, I don't even know why I bought it, these are so much power already. I am thinking a lot will depend on which reed I have installed, It comes with a S2 which lets the least gas through, the s3 is 30% more, s4 is 30% more than s3 and s5 is another 30% more, I think eventually I will get the S5 reed, it says it is for short runs like drag races. and will slightly shorten the life of the glow plug. I am just geting it for a novility item, something to hit every once in a while to show off,, knowing myself I will probably end up with no reed in it hehe at least when I think the motor has had it and is ready to be replaced anyway..

here is the chart they have on the site

nitrous12.jpg

Nah don't run the system with no reed in it.....you crazy like me!
One of two things would happen, first being your engine becomins a moving hand grenade or it would just totaly just flame out instantly and you just wasted a cylinder.

Get yourself a #2 and a #3 to start with.

I have a friend with one of these in his boat and loves it. I have no personal experiance but I'm very interested in what you think. Keep us up to date on it.

I have a friend with one of these in his boat and loves it. I have no personal experiance but I'm very interested in what you think. Keep us up to date on it.

Speaking of boats.......HHHHHMMM you just gave me an idea!!!!!

BAD NUT :stickspank: BAD I SAY:stickspank: NO JUICE OF YOUR RARE COLLECTABLE BOAT:stickspank:

Nah don't run the system with no reed in it.....you crazy like me!
One of two things would happen, first being your engine becomins a moving hand grenade or it would just totaly just flame out instantly and you just wasted a cylinder.

Get yourself a #2 and a #3 to start with.

It comes with a #2, I will probably go for a #5 when I get one, depending on what a #2 does. I am thinking it wont do much, but if you think about a torch, when you light the acetylene or butane and it burns the cooler orange flame what adding the oxygen (or N02 in this case) does to that orange flame, wow it may make a bigger difference than I think.

I am thinking a rich tune is the way to go til I see what it does to the temp. I do have a Nomadio radio with the temp sensor installed, I keep the alarm on the radio at 260 now so that should help.

One would be nice on a boat, I am guessing the Rc ones are water cooled?? that would help a lot.

For anyone who has the system or is thinking about getting one, I found these cartriges (fuel cells) for them for a lot cheaper than tower, or RB wants for them,.

This link has (the top one) a box of 10 of these for $3.95!!! they are from a shipment that the boxes were damaged.

regular they have for 8.95 for 24 of them
http://www.creamright.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=C&Category_Code=DISCOUNT_WHIP

this is the same place with different prices $9.00 for 24 and up

http://www.creamright.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=C#nitrous

Ithese are the same thing as used in the system, I wrote them and asked, ithe guy said he has sold them to companies for the same thing.

Yes. ask drummer about what the pinch feels like on the .46 cen it was on. you are forgetting one big thing. NO2 is oxygen so you are just leaning out the motor when you use it. so when it hit's your throwing a lot of air in the fuel mixture and leaning out the motor.

Befor RB Innovations had the NOS system I tried rigging one up to a nitro motor and it was totaly sick!!!! Adding NOS is one of the best ways to boost your power. A long time ago Raido Shack use to sell a small Micro NOX torch that used nitrous and butane to create a supper hot flame useing the same small cylinders that RB use for their system. I went WAY over board with what I did and kicked my buddys but in a race but the down side was total destruction of my engine to the point that it looked like someone threw a hand granade in it. You wont have that problem with the RB system because they have a metering device that controlls the rate of NOS going into the engine. I am thinking of getting one for my savage running my super charged engine.

I love to blow things up!!!!!!!

Here's one of those micro torches, Looks exactly like the one Radio shack used to sell (if they don't stil). I think when I bought the one I had, (at least 15 years ago) it was like $30 bucks.

http://www.azuremoon.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jnlrcoi0

instead of buying the rb cylinders I got whippets from a bakery. there no2 is cleaner do to the product touching food. not pharmaceutical grade but better than what goes into a car and cheaper than rb.

instead of buying the rb cylinders I got whippets from a bakery. there no2 is cleaner do to the product touching food. not pharmaceutical grade but better than what goes into a car and cheaper than rb.

Yes I posted a site that carries it for food, one of them actually says it is Certified medical quality gas, (the top one) here http://www.creamright.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=C#nitrous there $9 for 24 of them, at this time they even have those and another brand that had damaged boxes for 3.95 for 10 of them (a little cheaper). they also have some where the top it thicker than normal and people have a hard time puncturing them they are cheap too but you have to buy like $100 dollars worth.

I did order a s5 reed cause of what you said about the S2.

thanks
I looked for those before I decided to buy. RB wants a fortune for them

I received the injector Thursday, since then I have been deciding how to mount it (I will post Pics when finished.

One thing I could not find a "Good" lace to mount is the micro switch, it is supposed to be mounted somewhere where the throttle servo horn or linkage hits it turning it on at whatever position you want.

First I couldn't find anywhere I liked to mount it, I also didn't like the idea of it turning on in one spot unless you move it physically. So this is what I have decided to do.

I figured out a way to activate it from the radio with a push of the botton, most people use a servo and micro switch for this, I have no room for a servo so I was going to design a switch that could be toggeled electronically, I found a chip made for this but I do not have a chip burner or access to one anymore. here is the first Idea I came up with

The first Idea I came up with, is to use the board out of a servo, remove the board and remove the motor from the board. Then I could solder a small realy on the board where the motor in series with a diode (so it would only turn on in one direction, then on theswitch connectors of the relay use them as toe on off switch. I think this will work fine with the right choice of relays.

before I do that I decide d to look ft see if there was anything like this already built. I found these, which I know will work, just plug into a channel out on the rx and you have an electronic switch.

this place has the one I went for it is thepicoswitch, they have several other more advanced mopodules but it is not needed ad size is most imporant to me.
http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=828&catid=70

I found these too

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDZ89&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCJD6&P=7

what worries me a bit, is I emailed my idea to rb inovations, they said they would pass it on to engineering, that they had tried this in the past but had problems where it would only turn on momentarly. I am 99% sure it will work, so well we will see.

John

do you have reverse on your savage. if not do what i did and use the third servo position in the radio box to add the micro switch. you need to go into my pics and see if i have any that show how i mounted the micro switch. on the big truck i did use the throttle servo. but on the small truck i used the third servo position. as far as I'm concerned used the K.I.S.S. principle.

do you have reverse on your savage. if not do what i did and use the third servo position in the radio box to add the micro switch. you need to go into my pics and see if i have any that show how i mounted the micro switch. on the big truck i did use the throttle servo. but on the small truck i used the third servo position. as far as I'm concerned used the K.I.S.S. principle.

Thanks, I willcheck out your pic's. I do have reverse and need it,. I have a hard time walking so it helps me from chaseing it around sometimes. That was my first thought, using the reverse servo. I think the switch will be fine.

I'm not positive how the reverse mixer works. But is there a way you could hook it up to engage the servo once WOT has been held for 3 seconds? Than it would be like a boost at the end.

what worries me a bit, is I emailed my idea to rb inovations, they said they would pass it on to engineering, that they had tried this in the past but had problems where it would only turn on momentarly. I am 99% sure it will work, so well we will see.

John[/quote]

They are right about the system only working momentarily. In order for it to work you need something called a Bidirectional latching circute. And you don't need to hack apart a servo to do it either, you can just use the signal lead that is part of the servo wires. I may have the schematics for the circute also. I got to look at my old electronics files for you. Ive done this befor for lights and for NOS.

Latest posts

Members online

Back