Nitromethane panic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoPsycho

Will this affect us? Nobody seems to know:

Source says Nitro Shortage Immenent

Written by Bobby Bennett Thursday, 08 May 2008
Some events could be affected by actions overseas
Drag racing could soon face a shortage of nitromethane, the very lifeblood of the sport’s entertainment value.

A source, who spoke to CompetitionPlus.com under the condition of anonymity, said nitromethane production will likely be affected by a large demand for the product outside of racing applications as well as the upcoming Olympics. Many of the supplying factories, which are located in China and provide the raw materials for making nitromethane, will be shut down during the Olympics.

Our source, who we’ll call Mr. Nitro, said this problem isn’t in the future, it’s in the now.

“Internationally, the shortage has already begun,†Mr. Nitro confirmed. “There has been a pick-up in the usage of nitromethane for other chemicals.â€

According to Mr. Nitro, there was only one plant in China that made nitromethane exclusively and this plant belonged to the Wego chemical company. Other plants make nitromethane as a supporting use with other chemicals.

“These plants would have extra nitromethane,†Mr. Nitro added. “Now, because of the demand, they no longer have the extra. In fact, these companies are looking for nitro for themselves.â€

How does this affect drag racing? Immediately, the shortage might not affect the next few NHRA or IHRA events but the possibility of problems down the road are very real.

“We’re in an emergency status right now,†Mr. Nitro confirmed. “Most of the professional racers don’t understand. The people who are running the situation are listening to their supplier and whatever they say goes.â€

The shortage will likely command a higher price for a barrel of nitromethane. A 42-gallon barrel currently sells for $1075 from the official NHRA supplier.

Other nitro entities sell their product for $900 for the same 42-gallon barrel uncut with methanol.

As for the Olympics, the Chinese government will reportedly shut down production of some raw materials suppliers during the Olympics, August 8 – 24, 2008. The factories are reportedly informing their customers their shutdowns will take place July 1, 2008 and they will not resume production until October 1, 2008.

“The concern over pollution has the government over there cracking down; they want to look very good during this time,†Mr. Nitro said. “They are trying to find ways to combat that and one of the plans is to shut them down. The plants that weren’t up to snuff are getting shut down. Some of the other plants, who do follow the guidelines, are getting shut down because they are close to the area (where the Olympics is being held).

“They [the Chinese government] have the same concerns our government would have about hazardous materials moving around when the world is looking at one particular area.â€
China is drag racing's only source for racing grade nitromethane since the Uinted States-based Dow-Angus company ceased racing application production prior to last season.

Source: Competitionplus.com

I think most, if not all modeler's fuel used in the US is made in the US. However, I don't know if the actual Nitro used to make it is imported or not.

Back to 20% I guess...:$broke:

isnt dragster fuel like clost to 100& nitro? i dunno, but if it is, thr 20%-30% we run wouldnt go up very much in cost. and there is always the brushless savage conversion too.

I talked to a buddy who is a klotz dealer and he has heard nothing about a nitro shortage as far as his business goes. So I'm hoping that maybe the scare will not affect our fun!!

Push comes to shove, there are other options. My savage will run one way or another.

:bsflag:Time to start saving this kind of gas?:passgas:

The whole world will come to an end soon anyways....:duh:

Its time for the diesel conversion..... LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
if you need ant bud ..lmk I have 4 hobby shops w/ in 10 miles

MMM new profession- Go out and buy all stock of Nitro fuel for R/C and resell at a later date?? mmmmm....
lol

lol you seen the price of that stuff ?!!:duh: :duh:

I'd swap your prices for ours anyday !! £1.33 per litre !!!! multiply that by 1.93 ish = $2.56 per litre !! Muliply that by 3.785 = $9.68 a U.S gallon !! Our gallon is 4.546 Litres, making it £6.04, that's like $11.66 !!! Man, how do they expect people to exist over here ? :dunno: :stressed: :cussing: The way it's going, it'll be cheaper to run my car on nitro soon !

Sorry for going off topic and ranting on, but I feel better now !:drunk:

Good thing I use a local brew. I shouldn't be affected, but interesting stuff none-the-less!

Just to drag this back up I learned a little more on this topic today. VP fuels who supplies a bunch of the Nitro that turns into r/c fuel imports from China. As found here, and a real interesting quote off their site. Rest of the article in the link.

http://vpracingfuels.com/article.html?articleURL=2454619.45517361

Q. Will nitromethane be available this season for all segments of racing that require it?

A. No – not from VP. We are confident that VP will be able to supply sufficient quantities of nitromethane to NHRA Championship Drag Racing national events for the duration of this season. We feel a responsibility to provide this supply for NHRA and we take it very seriously. We recognize many jobs—from race teams to parts manufacturers to food vendors and parking lot attendants—are dependent on these events and we will do whatever is necessary to make sure these events occur. The fact is VP actually sells more nitromethane for industrial and hobby fuels annually than it does for racing. This year, we have dropped about 95% of our industrial and hobby business to ensure NHRA’s supply is uninterrupted. This will have a significantly negative financial impact on VP

Well not sure if 2 of my hobby shoes are on back order or what .. But all the had was traxxs fuel and 40% nitro .. I picked up so 40% Trucks ran hard today .. lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back