newbie, motor ruined?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codycummins

Bought my savage xl 5.9 a few months ago, tuned it when it was cold and it ran great, brought it to a buddys house today to show him and i couldnt get it to idle so i figured since it was cold when i tuned it and with the warm weather now that it may need to be retuned, so i started messing with it, got it to run but couldnt get it to idle, the motor was warm so i figured it wouldnt to hurt to hold it wide open, buddy held it up off the ground and held it open wide open for probably 5 to 10 secs, then the motor bogged and shut off, let it cool down and got it started, still wont idle and now the roto start bearing is leaking a grey ooze and the motor is running extremely hot, to the point where letting it run a few secs causes the exhaust to be scortching hot and smoking along with the gasket thats between it and the motor, I'm guessing i possibly burnt the motor up?

Hey codycummins welcome to the HPI Savage Forums I don’t think running the motor wide open for that short of time could damage the motor you might have to reseal with some gasket material where the roto start bearing is from the motor getting hot also reset your needles on the carburetor to the Break in Settings in your Savage XL Manual. I would do that first before saying the motor is toast it is a lot less expansive then buying a new motor also try to turn the motor over by hand by the flywheel when the motor is cold if there is some resistance then there is a good chance the motor is still ok.

Last edited:
You probably have an air leak. Look up how to seal a nitro engine. It's pretty easy with some rtv silicone. Also if the idle is too low. Like it drops down really fast adjust your idle screw. If you don't have good throttle response from a dead stop, lean out your low speed. Right now before you do anything look up the stock specs on the carb and start from there

Latest posts

Members online

Back