Newbie Break in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSW07

I just broke in my new Savage X and was wondering, if I did something wrong how would I know? I did it y the owners manual and it seems to be running good (to my newbie knowledge), how would I know if something was wrong?
Also, I put in 33& Traxxas fuel right after break in, I know the manual says not to run it but guys at the local store said to go for it, it took a little tunning but it HAULS ***!

I used a heat gun to monitor my temps. I think that is one of the most important parts of the breakin if you followed the rest of the breakin proceedures. The book says to not get over 250*, but the first few tanks I kept it well under that.

If it's running good, I would think everything is fine, but you almost need to monitor the heat so you don't get it leaned out too much which can over heat the motor. Good Luck, I'm at about the same stage with mine as you are.. PS, I'm not sure on the fuel question but I broke mine in on top fuel 20% and then swithched to Byrons 25% and tuned it to that fuel. It seems to like it too.

I break my engine in with the fuel I plan to use. I don't do this 10 to 15 to 20 to 30 nonsense. I break my engine is with Trinity Monster Horsepower 20% and run it with the same fuel. As long as you break in the engine rich for the first couple tanks and keep your temps good you have no worries.

I would have done that too, but when I bought my savage x, the only fuel they had in stock was the top fuel, and I didn't really like it that much.

Also, I think the byrons has a little more oil because I saw a bit more smoke from it than I did with top fuel. Unfortunately my LHS is limited in the fuels they sell, but the Byrons 25 seems to run well for me although I haven't seen anyone else here using it. Like someone said in another thread, use what works best for you and is readily available.

I use the Byrons, 20% and 30% and I haven't had any trouble with it at all. I intend to stick with it until either it doesn't make my truck run anymore, or until my LHS doesn't carry it anymore...whichever comes first...lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Back