newb spur gear question(s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leslie

Hi All,

I'm running a stock CB/Spur, 15/49 on my Sav X, and I've stripped my second spur.

So I've been searching around and have more questions than answers.

I suspect I have to pay close attention to the mesh, but how do you tell if you have stripped the spur or melted it??? My spur has all the teeth gone with a bit of a ridge left, seems like melting would be a possiblity.

Questions; Is the stock CB hardened? Would a vented racing bell be a better choice? Just how tight should the spur gear be? The manual says tight, then back off a quarter turn. What would a half turn do, what would an 1/8 turn do.

thanks, in advance!!

Cheers,
Leslie

okay,the CB..yes get your self a vented one,and as for the mesh...when putting it together run a small strip of paper between the spur and the CB...this will insure a proper mesh.Next your spur...this is just my opion....tighten it all the way up...right tight..thats how i run mine,as tight as i can get it.The spur gear will slip if you hit something hard believe me,the reason they have spur gears was for electric rc's mainly because they make alot of tourque,with nitro the throttle impact isn't there as it is with electric.Most on here will infact tell you that tight and then back a 1/4 turn will be perfect....but that is up to you.

all the tightness off the spur / slipper does is when u land from a jump it will slip if ur holding the
throttle and the slipper is a little loose, or what a lot of people i know with savages do, tighten
the slipper down all the way, but when u come off a jump remember to land with the throttle/
brake released lol... also yeh the paper method for setting the mesh is quite good even though
people call it nooby... but it works :p seeing as u cant link to other forums ill have to repost it here...

*Note : not my car lol, its a coppied post thing, wish my car looked that nice

1: cut a strip of paper and fold in half
sm000.jpg

2: with the engine screws loose place the paper between the spur gear and clutch gear
sm0001.jpg

3: apply pressure with a screwdriver to the clutch bell so the gears are tight and lock the engine down
sm2.jpg

4: wind the paper out by turning the spur gear
sm3.jpg

5: hold the clutch bell and rock the spur gear back and forth, you should feel a small amount of
movment, turn the spur gear 360deg checking there is the same amount of play all round
sm4.jpg

also another thing ive heard is that the savage x gearbox after a bit of time begins to flex which alters the mesh which is also a major factor in stripping spurs on the x... just a heads up, u can get a normal gearbox or just go 3 speed...

opinion about quality savage x

i have a question for you: I have one t-maxx 3.3 but now i want a stronger truck . it might be savage x..? . i have seen in forums that savage has problems with spur gear , spur box etc. is it realy problematic work with savage. is it true is a mess. what do you think about savage x. trankyou for your advise.

u can get the savage x, but honestly u should get the savavge 25 Limited edition... i live in australia and the limited edition is about $aud100 more than the normal savage 25 but comes with like $300+ of hop ups, 3 speed gear box, tuned pipe, and all that... but if u want the x go for it but if i were u id change the savavge x gearbox for the normal one, or just change the slipper, u may not know what I'm talking about now, but when u get a savage whichever one ull know... but any savage u get is awesome, i got a savavge 25 with minor hop ups and it rocks, even at stock i loved it... climbing stairs is fun :p

Nice pics... The paper trick does 'the trick'. I ALWAYS do that it works really well. After you do it a couple of times you get 'the feel' and you don't need to do that but to be on the safe side I always do. Even though my spur's are only 4 dollars plus tax. 4 dollars can add up quickly especially if you do it evry week.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies. I've had great luck, thanks to all your responses!! I put the new spur on and spent alot of time with the mesh.

I put alumiminum shoes (OFNA) on and a vented 15T Clutch bell.

Wow!! what a difference, it's like a new truck. Quick off the line, and after 6 tanks this afternoon, the spur still looks like new!! No wear marks.

Thanks everyone, I'm totally thrilled!!!

Cheers,
Leslie

Hi all, I'm new to the truck thing and have 1 quick question concerning this matter ,I've been into planes and helis for the last 15 years, but trying to help my son with his Savage X. The problem is the nylon spur gear, or rather the stick on slipper pad on the back side, we keep smoking this thing after a few runs. I realize that the tension is an issue but too loose and it won't run out and too tight just melts the nylon gear ino the drive ring. Where am I messing up? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Scott

Hi Barker,

Tighten the spur all the way up and back off a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Then remesh the spur with the cb. Loosen the engine mount screws and use the paper method discussed above.

Gear mesh is just as critical on these trucks as on Heli's, I've found...the hard way:)

cheers,
Leslie

Latest posts

Members online

Back