Newb needing some help/assistance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noakes75

Hello, I have some questions with the whole area with wheels and tires.

First off all, what is the benefit of offset wheels? Where do I get them?

Second, what is the benefit of the 17mm conversion?

Third, I know you guys use gorilla duck tape on the inside of the tires to prevent the "pizza cutters" but does the sticky part have to be facing out to grab the foam or does the sticky part actually adhere to the tires?

Now, I like big tires for some reason. I have read that they put extra strain on the drive train so I have mixed emotions about the whole thing. I know I would like to have a very aggressive tread that will bite in. And the wheels I'm not too concerned about. I would prefer something like this
http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AXI8098&Show=TechSpecs
It doesn't have to be those wheels, nor does it have to have bead locks. I just like that style of a chrome mag.

But if not it's not the end of the world. The only think I really don't care for is the bright yellow wheels. I have been looking online at differnt prices and sizes of wheels. I looked at the chart that "XXX" put up. I can understand most of it. But what if I want a tire that isn't the factory size? I know it's possible, but then I have to look for a rim that will fit the truck and that is where I get into trouble.

Any help and/or suggestions would be AWESOME!

**By the way, if your following all my forums and helping this may make since**
I just got in the new brakes, servo, oil (for the shocks) and springs.
Thanks for the help guys. Everyday I add something to me gotta have list! :)

once your hooked noakes the gotta have list never ends lol . i haven't used the 17mm conversion myself but my x already has 17mm hubs stock. the larger the nut diameter the harder it is to strip out the wheel, just like a socket on a bolt the bigger the head on the bolt the harder it is to strip it. 2.2 wheels definatly wont fit

alright, so I just have savage 25. So I'm gathering it doesn't have the 17mm conversion so I should do that then? Yea, like I said. I just like the style, but it's not the end of the world if I can't find anything like that.

offset wheel make the truck wider and more stable, the 17mm you don't have to have unless you want to buy wheels for the savage x,the tape goes on the tire,also the wheelsyou have a link for are 2.2 size. proline make some nice large wheels and tires in14/23mm

If you like the Chrome mag look and big wheels I suggest the Cheyenne by proline. You will need 23mm hubs. Proline also has those for the savage. Big high traction tires, I like BigJoes. Yes theyre a bit heavy, but brutal bashing tire. Stay away from axial b/l rims. I had three sets. They suck big time.

alright, the mm of the truck is starting to make since. If I wanted say a 23 or 26 do they make those or is that getting out of line? Or maybe I'm still reading it wrong?
I looked at proline.com and all they had in offset was the solid black,white, or yellow color. If I have to get something like that for it to be offset I will, but I would prefer a traditional truck wheel.

not bad grumpy. Do the cheyennes come in an offset? Got any websites off the top of your head where there is good deals on them? And lastly where would I get a 23mm conversion?

i know u can get them cheap on ebay but theres different brands and some people have had problems installing some of them so just hold on and someone will be able to give you a bit more advice as to were else to get them and which kind are the best....

alright. sounds good man, I'm not in a huge rush. Until I figure something out I will just keep rockin my factory ones. I just wanna try to get it lined up ya know?

Not sure if you got this answered, but the for the tape the sticky side goes on the tire side.

Hello, I have some questions with the whole area with wheels and tires.

First off all, what is the benefit of offset wheels? Where do I get them?

Second, what is the benefit of the 17mm conversion?

Third, I know you guys use gorilla duck tape on the inside of the tires to prevent the "pizza cutters" but does the sticky part have to be facing out to grab the foam or does the sticky part actually adhere to the tires?

Now, I like big tires for some reason. I have read that they put extra strain on the drive train so I have mixed emotions about the whole thing. I know I would like to have a very aggressive tread that will bite in. And the wheels I'm not too concerned about. I would prefer something like this
http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AXI8098&Show=TechSpecs
It doesn't have to be those wheels, nor does it have to have bead locks. I just like that style of a chrome mag.

**By the way, if your following all my forums and helping this may make since**
I just got in the new brakes, servo, oil (for the shocks) and springs.
Thanks for the help guys. Everyday I add something to me gotta have list! :)

Hey Noakes.... don't know if you've seen a pic yet, but there is a pic of how i taped the inside of my tires on this thread --> https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7891 youve gotta turn your tire inside-out to do it.. gorilla tape fit perfectly without cutting & you want it on the tread area only, not the sidewall because you want cushion for landings.
don't care much for bling, so i went with maximizer offsets & love 'em..tough as nails... also, when you choose tires, consider the good pro line or ofna foams, they are cheap ($20 for 4) make a HUGE difference...
keep an eye on my tires and see how they don't balloon.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C6vURWeLDw no pizza-cutting or ballooning at all... good luck bro, let us know what you decide on.
oh yeah, after seeing everyone's ideas & mods here my 'wish list' is 2 microsoft word documents long...... welcome to hpisf

Last edited by a moderator:
alright, thanks mickey that's what I thought. I purchased the 23mms
Hey frddy, Yea I saw your thread on here. But it just said put the tape on the inside of the tires. I didn't know if it was to hold the foam inplace so it seemed to me that you would want the sticky part facing out (or towards the wheel)
I don't need the bling either. I like big tires. I can take or leave the big wheels, but that's what everyone thought I ment I guess? Like alot of rubber, similar to what dvinesquirrel did with the Swamper Jumbo Kong. I just like the look, but I don't know if I wanna sacrifice that for performance. He didn't seem to be having and issues though.

Have a look at the HPI Goliaths. I run them and find they work well on most surfaces and are long wearing. They're 17mm but come with hardware for pre-X trucks.

They do have to be mounted on the HPI Blast or Tremor wheels though.

Have a look at the HPI Goliaths. I run them and find they work well on most surfaces and are long wearing. They're 17mm but come with hardware for pre-X trucks.

They do have to be mounted on the HPI Blast or Tremor wheels though.

The Goliaths are great basher tires IMO. Gearing down for them is recommended.

5b-5.jpg

alright, well I will consider them as well. I thought I had the 23mm ones bought, but I guess I lost the auction at the last second.. Oh well. It looks like there are alot more wheel applications to the 17mm anyways so maybe it's a good thing. Do the goliaths come in an offset?

alright, thanks for the input. What series is the goliaths? I was looking and some wheels say like "40 series only" what is that pertaining too? width, height? no clue

Members online

No members online now.
Back