New Track Design (Suggestions???)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasRaider

So I am building a track beside my house but haven't made my final decision on the layout. I sketched several designs and decided on the one pictured below, but I want some opinions on jumps and locations, plus any other ideas. The room I have to work with is 150 x 60 with a little more room at one end, which you will see in the pic. Here are some of the ideas I have come up with so far:

Turns 1 and 9 have a "plateau" in taking up the entire turn with an additional mound in the inner-most part of turn 1 just to narrow the corner.

Section of small humps (6 or so fairly close together) between turns 8 and 9.

A relatively flat jump between 9 and 10 before heading down the long straight to show off speed.

Turn 11 will be banked to help with the speed that will be carried in from the back straight.

The largest "big air" jump on the front between turns 11 and 1.

Don't really know what to do on straight between turns 3 and 4, thought about letting loose for a short sprint since the track will slow down with turns 1-2-3. (Turn 4 will have some banking as well)

Mid size jump before turn 5 placing the landing nearly in the turn.

Small and Mid size back-to-back jumps between turns 5 and 6 (flat turn 6).

Another big air jump between 6 and 7.

Then a decent sized "hump" in the middle of turn 8.

So what do you think? I have seen some tracks that throw in a mini mine field to slow down a turn, but that is just a pain when it rains. Thought if I wanted to do that then I would invert them and have a bunch of ant mounds!

How wide are the lanes? Savages need room.
Are you in Texas as your handle describes? I'll come drive on it.

How wide are the lanes? Savages need room.
Are you in Texas as your handle describes? I'll come drive on it.

Looks like roughly 10' I would think that should be enought for a savage. I mean if they are wider you could run the track quicker but also makes the track much easier.

Looks like it could be an interesting track. Post some pics when you get it completed. I would love to see how it looks. On the section between 3 and 4 you were wondering about, you might try some offset moguls. Every other one starting on the same side and ending about 2/3 of the way across the lane. Probably four total might work towards entering turn 4. We had some on a 1/10 scale track I used to race on. You get a little speed right before them and the dirvers have to think about how they want to enter the turn.

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. Yes, the lanes are 10' wide and could have a few more inches if possible. This track isn't going to be a heavily driven track as it will be my personal track, so hopefully I can keep my savage inside a 10' lane! I think it will be a nice combination of speed and precision. After watching video after video, I think the high banked sweeping turns on the outer lanes will make it fairly unique as most do sharp 90's or 180's, which I will have too, but this is kind of a mix of an oval and a full off road.

Can't wait to get it done, and I will surely post some pictures. Hopefully by the end of April I will at least have the track, but the dang corrugated pipe is a little high right now so I may have to go do some shopping. I calculate that I need over 1200' and at just under $.50 per foot, I could buy another truck!!!

Oh, and yes, I am in Texas and even though it isn't a public track, I don't mind if anyone wants to come drive on it with prior notification. Don't be out there at 8:00am on a Saturday morning cause you might meet one pissed off individual who was awakened before they wanted to be and it would not be pretty. Trust me, my wife does NOT like to wake up before she is ready!!! By the way, I am in the big city of Hillsboro, and if you are unaware, it is right on I-35 at the split about an hour south of DFW and 30 minutes north of Waco.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I guess no one is invited to your personal track? hee-hee

You going to use the corrugated pipe for the lane seperations. If so you might looking into a 6" plastic flex hose. You can find it at some of the plumbing stores. You may have to ask for drainage flex hose. If you can't find any let me know because we use a lot of it at my work and I can ask our warehouse purchasing guy where he orders it. The only difference between it and the stuff you might be able to find is that what we use does not have the slots cut in it for drainage.

Jay

Thanks for the help and yes, that drainage flex is what I found. 4" hose is $.49 a foot! The guy at the plumbing supply warehouse where we buy some stuff slipped and told me where they actually get their supply, so I called them directly and they said they would sell directly to the public, but I haven't heard back from the salesman to see how much he can sell it to me for. I may mix it up and run PVC on the straights and the flex in the turns, but that is at the bottom of my list at the moment. Just got my high speed 3rd gears in so tonight that, along with my BUKU go on and tomorrow I will find out what kind of monster I have created!!!

Another avenue for the flex hose is you might see if there are any Vacuum truck service companies in your area. We use it for vacuuming and they generally throw it away when it gets holes in it. The local rc club gets a lot of our used flex for the lane dividers.

Jay

I find this topic very neglected on this forum, probably due to mostly bashing done here. We built a track last year and will be doing major expansions this year. We banked almost all the turns and now we need to put in drains in some of them that trap water. I looked everywhere for tile and found a company right down the road from my work that sells it cheap. Not sure if this is an option for you but possibly contact a farmer that tiles fields for water runoff, alot of times they have it in excess laying around.

I have concern on the water issue but I live on rock and it is SOLID! The disadvantage to this is running a drain would kill me as digging in it is not easy. I have a walk-behind trencher with rock teeth and could barely scrape the stuff! The advantage to this is that water drains off almost immediately. I have a low spot on the opposite side of my house and last week it rained like 4 inches. The next day there was not a puddle of water on my property. Now, that will leave me deciding what sort of "dirt" to use for my surface. I am still deciding between two different types. One is a "select fill" and is used under foundations of houses. It is made up of primarily clay and sand and sets up extremely hard and doesn't move. I just have never paid attention as to how well it absorbs water. Once the water gets through the soil and to the rock, it is GONE! The other soil is a "sandy loam" which is a sifted topsoil mixed with sand. It is what is recommended for growing lawns in this area. I have a feeling that this would be easier to sculpt, but also more apt to developing ruts.

I don't know, anyone here a soil expert???

Here in Indiana we live in gray clay and it packs like mortar and will hold water easily. Clay is what you want or you will never keep your jumps in shape. Alot of tracks actually make the big jumps out of wood and cover them with dirt to keep maintenance to minumum. Also on table tops and larger jumps you can shore up the sides with plywood or even landscaping wood. I also seen railroad ties used because they are cheap and will last forever.

Nice jammer. We are gonna redo our track this summer. I doubt I build a 20' drivers stand though, that's a bit out of my budget and desire. That is the nicest track and setup by far I've ever seen. It's like a golf course for rc cars.

Latest posts

Members online

Back