New to RC / Savage XS - what parts / maintenance do I need??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Major stripping over the last few days. Pretty much the only thing I didn't go into was taking the inner diff cogs out, and the steering area as that seemed fine. As well as general checking / cleaning (got about 1/2 kilo of misc dirt and pebbles out of it):

Thoroughly nitro-cleaned all bearings.
Took out and cleaned ESC fan as it was making weird noises.
Fed the antennae cable back into the pipe as it was pulling out.
Replaced slipper clutch as it was pretty much goop.
Replaced rear gearbox cup with HD one as it was getting worn.
Replaced one badly ground down diff gear and one slightly ground down pinion gear.
Packed more grease inside the diffs.
Added a couple of shims when I reassembled the diff housings (still get a little bit of a grinding noise from the rear diff :shifty: )
Replaced the diff input cups with HD ones as they were getting worn.
Replaced the rear HD axles with CVD joints as I was still getting dogbones occasionally pinging out.
Added T-Bone thrasher bumpers.

And most importantly....

Added orange M3 nuts for extra bling :rolleyes:

I feel I'm getting to know the inner workings of the car pretty well now. Although I don't want to tighten any 2mm hex bolts for a while if that's okay o_O. One thing I was careful to do was to check the motor / gears / diffs etc were running okay at every reassembly stage.

Last edited:
sorry to say your local store owner is not correct, WD40 does NOT attract dirt and grit, and actually helps remove water from components. thats what the WD stands for "water displacing".... I have used it for years with zero problems...

as for that lampost it will win every time against your RC truck.... so try not to hit solid non-moveable objects with the truck.....

If running in wet conditions it is always a good idea to tear down things and make sure they don't rust, relube bearings and check all parts for seizing and rust...

to setup your new servo plug it into the receiver and set the center point by turning it all on before installing the linkage horn then install as your instructions say to.....

sorry to say your local store owner is not correct, WD40 does NOT attract dirt and grit, and actually helps remove water from components. thats what the WD stands for "water displacing".... I have used it for years with zero problems...

as for that lampost it will win every time against your RC truck.... so try not to hit solid non-moveable objects with the truck.....

If running in wet conditions it is always a good idea to tear down things and make sure they don't rust, relube bearings and check all parts for seizing and rust...

to setup your new servo plug it into the receiver and set the center point by turning it all on before installing the linkage horn then install as your instructions say to.....
Local store owner doesn't want you buying a £3.00 tin of wd40 he would rather sell you 5 different lubes and cleaners from him for £5.00 each,I use the stuff for everything it lubes and cleans and protects,so get it bought and don't look back

I have a Savage X nitro but looking to get an XS soon. What battery are you using? Can it go straight on to 3s without any modification?

I also have a Savage X which I updated from 4.1 to 4.6 to get more speed and torque. I have been driving it for multiple years and thought that it was fast, with wheelies and big jumps. I was wrong. My LHS predicted my next experience with electric cars currently available. I bought a XS a month ago and drive it with 2S 5200 mAh 50C LiPo. It is sooo fast I am not even considering 3S any more. But maybe that also has to do with the high C rating of the LiPo.

Cheers guys!

Okay cool. I was intending to use WD40 initially before getting that advice. His concern was dust and grit collecting on the WD40 residue and building up a scum. I guess that wouldn't be a problem with regular cleaning.

Now that's a real pro-tip :cool: I am trying honestly o_O

Cheers.

How does that work then?? Is that just forces that would normally break or displace the axles / dogbones transferring to the clutch instead?
Also, say I was to upgrade, which should be HD and which should be CVD?

Cheers. So softer is better?? Cushions the impacts more?
They sell WD-40 in a dry version. "WD-40 dry lube"

Latest posts

Members online

Back