New to Forum - Pics of Rig! Need Help Pls!!!

like the truck?

• not enough aluminum

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bashn4fun

hello all!

i'm new to this forum, but not new to the hobby. i just spent waaay too much money and waaay too much time (about 4 years) rebuilding a project .21 original savage and i'm finally DONE!!!

that's the cool part (see pics below)...

the not so cool part is it's incredibly SLOW. it doesn't even come close to poppin the front wheels up and it barely even roosters in the dirt. my drivetrain is all brand new and spins like silk, nothing is binding at all. i have a Werks adjustable racing clutch kit with carbon shoes and it's set to engage at low to mid RPMs. however, my mill may be the main problem. i'm running a stock HPI .25 (with a different cooling head and integy intake). it doesn't seem to have any power or torque at all. the motor has decent compression, but it's used.

my other thought was, gearing. where should i be? i'm running 50SG and a 15CB which should be plenty tourqey. i wanted mostly grunt for climbing, bashing, jumping and acceleration, but i got nothin. my other problem may be the enormous and super heavy beadlock 40 series tires i chose for the truck. i just wanted something big, but these things have bad wheel hop at speed, and they're just soooooo heavy.

lastly, maybe that racing clutch just can't handle the weight of the truck and move those big 'ol tires around. my truck has never been weighed but i bet it's close to 20 pounds with all that aluminum. i know that clutch i have is meant mostly for lighter weight racing buggies (eighth scale buggy and truggy) but i figured if it was adjusted right, it would do ok with the carbon shoes (most grippy).

i have been in the hobby for 20 years, but this is only my second nitro. i had an RC10GT that tuned up easy and was a rocket. but i just can't seem to get any power out of this setup. i've youtubed some savage vids and there are trucks out there that just plain RIP.

can anyone shed some light? my main three questions are:

-am i using the right clutch or should i just go with an aluminum 3 shoe?
-is my motor just plain junk or too small for what i'm running?
-am i in the right neighborhood with my gearing? i want mostly torque.

the dimensions and tire size of this thing pretty much make it an XL. it started life as a .21 back when that's all you could buy. but it now has the 1" lengthened chassis plates and 14mm to 23mm extended hub adaptors that add about an inch and a half to the overall width of the truck. so it's an inch longer and an inch and a half wider than a stock .21 not to mention the massive wheels and tires that are on it.

any help would be great. i know there are quite a few motor options, but i don't know which one to invest in. i'm looking for one that's going to move this beast around with authority. maybe a picco .28 or an axial .28RR?

so what SG and CB? what motor? what clutch? THX!!

zno4li.jpg

34xi6q9.jpg

2poe91h.jpg

iwudc8.jpg

2nu7eu.jpg

21b8yth.jpg

buitiful truck

-am i using the right clutch or should i just go with an aluminum 3 shoe? -
that clutch should be fine

-is my motor just plain junk or too small for what i'm running? -
it may not have the power to impress with that much weight

-am i in the right neighborhood with my gearing? i want mostly torque. -
you are too low rite now IMO

things you may want to finish her off:

Picco 28 or LRP 28

tuned pipe to match

49 spur and 18 cb you can try smaller cb if that is not low enough to pull wheelies

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with crash on this. But that pipe has to go. You will get more power from that mill with just a good tuned pipe.

yep I'm in agreement as well get rid of the pipe! they do look awsome i admit but u actually end up loosing power with them"even the hpi polished exhaust" is better and those pipes tend to be alot louder then others oh and welcome to the forum!! but nice looking savage my friend!!!

Welcome to hpisf .. The truck looks great ..

I aggree w/ everyone .. That grap handle has to go tho bro..

Here's another word of advice...DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ELSE FROM INTEGY!!

This is the hardest thing to nail into some of the people's heads on diffrent forums i'm on...

That handle wont last. I had one. Pure garbage. That aircleaner is restrictive. No better than stock. The shocks wont last long either. Youve heard enough about the exhaust. Stay away from Intejunk products.

I hate to be bashing so hard on your truck, but you asked. Just bash it till that crap breaks and get better stuff. Lesson learned.

thanks for all the advice everyone, but i must ask, what's wrong with integy? i've used their parts for years and i'm always impressed with the fit, the quality and the prices. also, if those shocks are junk, what would you recommend? maybe the HPI big bores?

that grab handle is made of very strong steel and aluminum mounting hardware and it's bolted directly to the chassis very securely. i put it there to protect the motor better during a roll. the stock location still allows the head to hit the ground. i may pull it off tho. who knows.

so i'm accepting the fact that i need to run a tuned pipe and a better air filter to get the power i want. i guess the shiny new exhaust is going on ebay. anyone have anymore recommendations on motors? the LRP .28 or the Picco .28 sounds like a popular choice. what about a pipe? is the BUKU a good one or is it better to just go with a good ol standard tuned pipe?

also, what kind of clutch bell is required if using a steel spur? my clutch bell gear teeth are kind of wearing away at a rapid pace.

lastly, if anyone reading this is running aluminum clutch shoes, is it a good setup? aluminum shoes come stock with the XL right?

so if it was your truck:
-what motor?
-what pipe?
-what shocks?
-aluminum shoes?
-HPI HD clutch bell? (to stop wear)

thanks again.

Q: what's wrong with integy?

A: integy dose not make there aluminum the right way...it is very low grade aluminum...

Q: if those shocks are junk, what would you recommend?

A: big bores,LST shocks,or stock...

Q: what about a pipe? is the BUKU a good one or is it better to just go with a good ol standard tuned pipe?

A: the BUKU pipe is the best pipe money can buy my friend...buy if you don't want to dish out the money for BUKU go with a JP3 pipe...

Q: anyone have anymore recommendations on motors? the LRP .28 or the Picco .28 sounds like a popular choice.

A: the LRP and picco are some of the best out there right now but if you don't have the money go with a axial .28 spec 1s with the JP3 pipe.

Q: also, what kind of clutch bell is required if using a steel spur? my clutch bell gear teeth are kind of wearing away at a rapid pace.

A: steel spurs are not needed if you know how to mesh the gears...stock setup is fine.

Q: lastly, if anyone reading this is running aluminum clutch shoes, is it a good setup? aluminum shoes come stock with the XL right?

A: dynamite max life aluminum shoes with mugen 1.0mm springs is the best set up from what I've heard...and I'm not so sure the XL comes with aluminum shoes...some one else might know.

Q: so if it was your truck:
-what motor?
-what pipe?
-what shocks?
-aluminum shoes?
-HPI HD clutch bell? (to stop wear)

A:
-LRP Z.28R spec3
-JP3
-LST,big bores or stock
-dynamite max life shoes
-HD CB...naahh...a vented clutch bell with PROPER gear mesh.

I think that the truck looks sweet nice truck and I'm sure it will do fine it just depends on what you want to do with the truck bash,race,pull or a shelf queen

I think it looks good overall. IMO, I would go back to stock shocks and a tuned pipe. I've never thought the stock shocks were bad, and with the right spring setup for whatever you're doing (bashing/racing/etc), they're adequate (although if you build a shelf queen they're not the best looking).

I personally don't have any experience with any of those mills other than the good ole HPI .25 and I do know that you'll have a pretty hard time getting that old thing to pull the front wheels up with that much aluminum and the extended chassis. These other guys know mills better than I as far as what to run.

Hey Bashn, don't think ive said it yet so "Welcome, Bro". First off, that savage is sweet. You are obviously proud of it & you should be cuz it is a great truck.
If you look through the posts, you will see why integy is not an hpisf favorite because the parts bend & break way too easy. From the looks of your savage (it's very clean) it doesnt seem that youve gotten into some hard-core bashing yet & you may find the same when you do.
Other than you air filter & pipe, i wouldn't run out & start replacing parts just yet or just cuz other's say so. Get your truck rippin' & then when something breaks, search the forum or ask others what they use & you will see.
A bud of mine (Brazil) has a savage that weighs about 600# & he runs the 4.1 with an HPI polished pipe & stocker air filter & it screams. I think that he has more aluminum than you do & its very heavy, but surprizingly fast for being so heavy.
So, like the others said, put your stocker air filter back on, get a better pipe, tune her up & let her rip! then if your roll bar bends or your shocks snap or bend, you can save a buck & put the stock back on & you will be impressed by their durability.
Let us know how you make out.

so if it was your truck:
-what motor? Novarossi 528 Modded
-what pipe? 086
-what shocks? Big bores and Lsts
-aluminum shoes? Fioroni Black Carbon "Turbo Twin 2007" Sliding Clutch System
-HPI HD clutch bell? (to stop wear) Vented racing CB (harder than the HD)
INTEGY is bling parts for the shelf. If you run it like a savage can run you will twist them up fast. That roll bar will be bent in no time. Some parts are better plastic. That is one 4 sure..

This is my current set up. Went from LST's for big bores. If it were just a bash rig Id stay with my LST2's but BB's were for weight. Not sold on them yet...

Latest posts

Members online

Back