New Savage XL - lost power and smelt of melting plastic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattilda

Hey guys had a very fun first run with the XL (flux) today in short grass - but it lost power after about half and hour and when I got close I could smell that nasty melting plastic smell - so something isn't right.

Slipper clutch meltdown?

So I took the slipper clutch apart
According to the manual there's should be two pads - 107456 x2 but mine doesn't have these!

My little XS has them - green fibrous things - so what's going on here then - do you think they forgot to put them in in the factory? Seems unlikely that they could have just vanished!

slipper_clutch_xl.jpeg

Wouldn't be surprised if it melted (from the burning smell) - I'm guessing (retrospectively) it wasn't tight enough out of the box. I'm surprised it disappeared altogether though on both sides!

What sort of pad would just melt and disappear? I thought they were all pretty fibrous

I bought some high temp gasket sheet off amazon and made some pads whilst I wait for official parts (worked fine but needed lightly sanding down with 400 grit as 2x 0.8mm was slightly too thick to get the pin in.)

There seems to be a couple of different pads available as replacement. I only managed to buy the heavy duty ceramic ones, not the ones from the manual. Not sure what was in there originally but I'm guessing heavy duty or DIY is the way forward

TIGHTEN that nut as tight as you can. never have to worry about slipperclutch pads. all mine are tight and i use the stock fiber lining
Like bifftit said, lock the nut down and you won't have to worry about pads wearing out or melting. But, if you do, NEVER land jumps while on the throttle or brakes. Broken diffs or gears somewhere in the drivetrain will happen.

Latest posts

Members online

Back