NEW Savage X 4.6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwoolie

Hello I just got my Savage X 4.6 yesterday. I am following the HPI manual and it says to run one tank with the wheels not on the ground. I got to half a tank and the engine died. Should I play with the idel screw or other high speed screw to get the engine to stay running? I think the engine is flooded now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Cwoolie

Yeah I tried turning the car over with glow plug out and yes some nitro came out but not much. I tried to start it again and still will not turn over. Any ideas? I did turn the high speed needle some and the idle screw some. I guess I should not have messed with those until this first tank is finished. I am going to let it sit til tmrw. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Chris

OK I couldnt wait so I tried it again. It did run for a few seconds then it died again. Now I am back to it not starting. Do you think I need to turn the idle screw any or the high speed screw any? Any other ideas? It ran ok for half a tank then would not start again. I have taken all the half tank of nitro out since I an now not attempting to start it again tonight. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

check the glow plug and make sure it glows nice and bright my not stay lit after the ignitor is pulled off or it gets damp with fuel. get a few spare plugs i went through 3 of them breakin my motor in.

Glow plug does get hot when I took it out and connected it to the charger. I was reading that savage is set rich by default? I see nitro dripping from the exhaust when the truck was sitting there during the half tank it was running. By chance is my engine getting to much nitro causing it to flood? If so which needle screw should I turn and how much? Thanks Chris

I got back on it this am. The truck cranked up and I got 1 1/2 tanks threw it now then died again. The engine is choppy and not much power. I take that as it is to rich? If I turn the HSN to lean it out the engine will not crank. I am only turning 1/4 or 1/8 of a turn but still no crank. Any suggestions as this is getting frustrating..CWOOLIE

During break-in, the engine typically idles a long time, so it’s best to adjust the low-speed setting first so the engine runs slightly rich (loading up every 30 seconds or so). It requires an occasional “blip†of the throttle to clear out any raw fuel that has accumulated in the engine. Once break-in is finished, then get the high-speed needle in the ballpark.

info taken from here.
http://www.rchobbies.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm
another good one is
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5609
read and study and hopefully it helps.

HPI says that flush is default settings for the needles. Mine are all currently flush. I would rather not mess with the needles during break in if possible but the engine is running rough/choppy and not much power so I assume its rich.

Thanks for the advice....I took the truck to the hobby store near me. 3 young guys looked at the truck and did turn the LSN and HSN and Idle screw some and finally it started to idle without cutting off not wanting to take off. Like most said these issues will go away once the truck is broken in. One of the guys said I can really just lean out the HSN after break in to get it tuned correct and running strong. Does anyone recommend a certain fail safe for this truck? I would hate to lose it with a run away. Also has anyone seen the push button engine kill that connects on the truck? I think I saw it on you tube and looked like a cool way to kill engine with shell on. Thanks again! CWOOLIE

i never messed with the needle settings during break in. i only used one glow plug threw break-in

wanna hear something amazing? I'm still using the same glow plug that was in it during break in lol and its still rippin wheelies and i didnt mess with anything either, in fact hpi and alot of people here say you shouldn't mess with the low speed if possible

wanna hear something amazing? I'm still using the same glow plug that was in it during break in lol and its still rippin wheelies and i didnt mess with anything either, in fact hpi and alot of people here say you shouldn't mess with the low speed if possible
wow thats amazing. My low speed is probably in about 1 1/2 turns and hsd is in about 1 turn.
when you do start to tune your motor remember never go more than about a hour worth of turn so 1/12th per adjustment

Also has anyone seen the push button engine kill that connects on the truck? I think I saw it on you tube and looked like a cool way to kill engine with shell on. Thanks again! CWOOLIE

I've got it on mine. I think it's worth the 5 bucks. Quit way to shut it down.
It is in an awkward place that is exposed but I have yet to damage/break it yet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back