New savage x 4.6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juarezd

Hey new to the forum so if it's in the wrong area I apologize. I am planning to get a new savage 4.6 pretty soon. This is my first nitro rc car. I live in west Texas so the temps are usually hot and dry. What nitro fuel and blend do ya recommend and what glow plugs? What tools and equipment should I investe in when I get the truck? Also how do you recommend I break in the motor? Also what's the best way to tune? Sorry for so many question thrown together just don't want to miss anything. Thanks for the help.

if you use the search bar all your questions will be answered, happy reading and Welcome to the forum.....

Thanks olds97_lss that really helped out. I was planning on running 25% nitro but might end up going with 20%.

I run 25%, but mostly because I did read the manual for my LRP28 when I got it and it suggested 25% as the minimum. Luckily, I was reading the manual as I ate lunch across the street from the LHS I just bought it at and went back to grab a gallon.

In a pinch, I've run 20% in it, but it doesn't do as well. I now run 25% in everything just so I don't have to keep 2 fuels around. I have run an OS18Tm, OS21TM, LRP28 (3 of them), TRX 2.5R, TRX3.3 all on 25% so far and they all do really well with it.

20% usually gives you as wide of a tuning window as a newer person would need. The lower nitro also keeps costs down. The higher nitro you run, the more precise you usually have to be with tuning and the more expensive the fuel is.

Guessing starting with 20% and medium temp plugs should get you going pretty good. I would suggest getting a temp gun as it really is a useful tuning device. Keeps you from running too cold and too hot. Too cold and things prematurely wear with possible con-rod breakage. To hot and you burn the oil in the fuel which will cause damage pretty quickly.

Oh ok I'll probably try 20% until I get a good handle on tuning. On the temp gun what gun do you recommend I use? On the glow plug I was thinking of using a McCoy mc-8. Would that be a good plug for both 20% and 25% fuel?

Mc8 should work fine. I used to run those. I use an old radio shack temp gun. I know ofna, hpi and duratrax all make one. tempgun.com also has a few.

Oh ok i might Go with the hpi gun. What kind Of plugs you run now and how do they compare to the McCoy?

I'm sorry for so many question. Compared to the McCoy what gains did you get with the medium O.S. #8? That's not a bad priced heat gun might get it instead. Also when you check the temp what part of the motor do you check?

Always shoot the glow plug to get the correct heat, as for the McCoy vs the OS , average guys will see little difference between the 2

Always shoot the glow plug to get the correct heat, as for the McCoy vs the OS , average guys will see little difference between the 2

Agreed. I run both brands. You would however notice a difference between the two heat ranges.

Alright so best is the glow plug for accurate temps. thanks I really appreciate everyone's help.

OS#8 is a bit hotter than the MCcoy MC-8 I believe. I use the odonnell purple (medium) plug now as they were cheaper than the OS's.

image.png image.png Can anyone give me any info on this igniter and tool set. Is the igniter any good or should I get a rechargeable one? Has anyone used the tool set or know if everything needed regularly is included?

Looks like the tool set has the most used ones in the set, But you have to beware of some of the cheap prices, the tips are probably not as hard or fit the bolts just right thus causing you some headache, I have the dynamite single hex drivers (red anoed knurled handles) and find they work well and are tough enough for the job...

As for the glow driver I have several and find the ones that are all self contained work well, I would hate to see that wiring get caught in a fast moving tire and tear something up...

Well I'll probably get the tool set to start. Maybe down the road I'll investe in better tools. Good point on the wires to the igniter. I just stick to rechargeable igniter.
Looks like the tool set has the most used ones in the set, But you have to beware of some of the cheap prices, the tips are probably not as hard or fit the bolts just right thus causing you some headache, I have the dynamite single hex drivers (red anoed knurled handles) and find they work well and are tough enough for the job...

As for the glow driver I have several and find the ones that are all self contained work well, I would hate to see that wiring get caught in a fast moving tire and tear something up...

Well I'll probably get the tool set to start. Maybe down the road I'll investe in better tools.

I have been buying tools for over 40 years, on the Snap On tool truck the guy had a sign which said "buy the best and CRY only once"

I use an AA ignitor. I charge 4 AA's in one of those cheap spring packs, but really, 1 2600mah LSD AA hold up for an entire break-in. They are more slim and don't irritate your leg as much when in your pocket. Also, I have so many LSD AA's around the house, I figured why not.

I got one of these off ebay for $5:
http://www.amazon.com/Igniter-Starter-Plugs-Nitro-Engine/dp/B00J49STSS

I had one of these for quite a while, but the twist lock wore out:
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towp1198.html

Those tools will probably get you by.

For good allens, I really like MIP's speed bits combined with my milwaukee M12 screwdriver. I wish they had phillips and standard though too. As it is, I have my old OFNA speed tips I bought years ago, which also included a few nut drivers.

Hahaha that's true I'm a high pressure pipe welder. I tried using cheap stuff. All it was was a big headache and more money in the long run.
I have been buying tools for over 40 years, on the Snap On tool truck the guy had a sign which said "buy the best and CRY only once"

I
I use an AA ignitor. I charge 4 AA's in one of those cheap spring packs, but really, 1 2600mah LSD AA hold up for an entire break-in. They are more slim and don't irritate your leg as much when in your pocket. Also, I have so many LSD AA's around the house, I figured why not.

I got one of these off ebay for $5:
http://www.amazon.com/Igniter-Starter-Plugs-Nitro-Engine/dp/B00J49STSS

I had one of these for quite a while, but the twist lock wore out:
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towp1198.html

Those tools will probably get you by.

For good allens, I really like MIP's speed bits combined with my milwaukee M12 screwdriver. I wish they had phillips and standard though too. As it is, I have my old OFNA speed tips I bought years ago, which also included a few nut drivers.
liked that second igniter gonna look for it on eBay since it's a couple of clicks to order. I have some tools might just hold off and start buying better quality tools like the ones y'all have mentioned.

Latest posts

Members online

Back