New motor and shell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david

Hi guys,did the honorable thing and got married to my women so now any money i have spare i can do my savvy,for starters i got my avatar sorted,thats my savage with a brand new sts.28(said id get one jrstorm)and a new hummer shell,now for the help i need,you might be able to help jrstorm,the running in instructions aint too clear,ive been running it for two minuts then letting it cool(up to third at mo)but theres no smoke or very little of it but as far as i can tell its on factory settings(flush)and when it comes to tuning it how far will i have to turn in the needles(to save time as I'm itching to take it out).

Its just idling,instructions say give it 6-8 two minute runs before any driving and I'm on fourth run,its got pull start,never known such a tight motor.

congrats on the new engine. i idked the first few times with mine. the settings were so rich that it had puddles of oil on the stand i was running on. I'm not sure what the settings were but if its not spitting out oil id richen it up some.the more you richen it up the harder to start and stay running it will get. i wouldent go too much since you should be close to running it on the ground and super rich settings will keep you from giving it throttle without it dying on you.. what i did with mine ...was the idle 2 min thing for a few times then after that heat cycling , i put it on the ground and started driving it. i had to lean the hsn some so i could give it throttle without it dying. usa a temp gun and make sure the engine is running around 200 degrees and you will be fine. i ran it like that for 3 more tanks, then i leaned the hsn 1/8 turn after each tank after that. i was also checking the temp and not letting it go over 230 .when i got almost 1 gallon through mine i started seeing and hearing the engine start to make more power then i startedleaning it out more and letting it get to 250 . i only did that after i had checked the pinch with the gp out. if it feels smooth when you rotate the flywheel with the gp out then the engine is broke it good. these engines are very tight and have a lot of pinch and need a lot of breakin time , so there is no quick breakin for these engines, be patient it will be worth it .

Thanks jrstorm,helped me out that,gonna get myself a temp guage for when i start driving,heard so much about this motor i wanna get out with it so much but will run it in properly first,want it to last.just one more thing,when you talk about temps how do you measure it,do you check while its idling or do you drive it then check it?

Last edited by a moderator:
what i do to check my temps is. i get it running and run it in my field for a few laps and just let it run and get warmed up then i take the temp gun and point it down into the head at the glow plug then i take the reading there. its the most accurate way to do it. the glow plug temp is where the hottest part is going to be.[or atleast the most accurate way ] while it is idling will still give temps but it is gona run hotter just after a run than it dose idling just after start up. it also takes some time for it to get warmed up to operating temp. i hope this helps...

Latest posts

Members online

Back