New LRP ZR.30 spec 4 help/guidance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derikmills

Just installed a new engine, but have issues and questions. I've been trying to break this engine in, but I can't seem to get it up to temp. Two tanks now and under 150 for both. All I have access to is 20% nitro. Could this be my problem? Would using a hotter plug help out? I'm currently having radio issues and somehow got stuck at full throttle I think. It was definitely high rpm. Luckily it was when I was checking temp so I managed to grab it and hold down on ground to stop wheels and plugged pipe with finger but it worries me considering it's never even made temp yet. I have no doubt that it smoked the clutch shoes which brings me to next question. I have transferred my savage 25 clutch assembly over to this engine. Probably not sufficient. I would love suggestions. Any suggestions of what I should change on my 25 to accommodate this larger engine would actually be greatly appreciated. Gearing info, flywheel, shoes, bell, anything else you can think of. Transmission suggestions? Thank you!

I have the same engine in my savage 25. The first two tanks I could hardly keep it running. By the 3rd tank it was able to idle. Then a few tanks of slow driving. By tank 7 the power increased dramatically. I still feel it needs more run in time. I wrapped the head in tinfoil then put an old sock over it to help get it up to temp. Once up to temp I remove the sock and leave the tinfoil in place. It seems to stay in that range. The last time I ran the nitro it was still fall in Alaska. I used 25% nitro, and changed my plug to an OS plug lc4 instead of the "R5" the engine came with. (It's all that was available locally.)

I had a little issue with the throttle sticking too. Check the servo saver. On mine, the horn was slipping and would open with throttle but when releasing throttle the servo returned to normal and the servosaver/horn would stay open. I replaced the throttle servo saver and it works fine. you may also want to check that the carb slide isn't being pulled to the side with operation. Good luck!!

Thank you for your input! I went to remove the engine and check clutch shoes after my high rpm silliness and noticed my carb pinch bolt managed to come off somewhere. I never would have imagined that as a possibility because so far I've not had any troubles like that. As it turns out, I can't find a replacement anywhere in the United States. I found ONE in Germany for 42 dollars in shipping cost plus the 20 for the bolt. I have less than 2 tanks through it and I don't know what to do to even get it running again. This is my first decent engine I have paid for and installed in my trucks ever, and I have somehow managed to screw it up in less than 2 tanks. Any suggestions at this point are more than appreciated. I don't even know what to feel at this point. It's gotta be karma for something in my past! I'm laughing on the outside, but crying on the inside.

Thank you for your input! I went to remove the engine and check clutch shoes after my high rpm silliness and noticed my carb pinch bolt managed to come off somewhere. I never would have imagined that as a possibility because so far I've not had any troubles like that. As it turns out, I can't find a replacement anywhere in the United States. I found ONE in Germany for 42 dollars in shipping cost plus the 20 for the bolt. I have less than 2 tanks through it and I don't know what to do to even get it running again. This is my first decent engine I have paid for and installed in my trucks ever, and I have somehow managed to screw it up in less than 2 tanks. Any suggestions at this point are more than appreciated. I don't even know what to feel at this point. It's gotta be karma for something in my past! I'm laughing on the outside, but crying on the inside.

this is exactly why I take even factory new things apart and seal and locktite as needed before even running it....

As for a clutch recommendation I have had the HPI Savage XXL clutch shoes (alloy) and flywheel setup on my personal savage and have had great success

Yes Jam, I know to take apart and clean and seal everything from the start. That is exactly what brought my first nitro engine back to life. I read that thread, and followed it to a T. I have done that with every one of my engines since then ....... but for some reason I have never ever thought to loctite that pinch bolt on any of my engines. Not sure why I wouldn't. Seems pretty stupid to not do it now. I've never had an issue before, however I have always used sealant over that bolt on both sides as well and for some reason I forgot to do that this time. Not that it would have changed things completely, but maybe that is why I haven't had issues before? Either way, I'm feeling really screwed and disappointed at the moment. I'll keep the clutch suggestion in mind for sure ..... If I ever have a running engine to put it on. I can't believe there are no parts like that for sale for this engine. I'm going to have to figure something out though. 2 nice engines in a row have not been usable for me. I have a new picco p3 .28 with non pullstart shaft. Maybe nice engines aren't for me.

Hey thanks Kevin! That's good info to know. I will stick with what I have then and spend some time shopping around for when I need a replacement instead of replacing before necessary.

You could always try one of the other engines carb pinch bolt to see if it may fit......

Yes sir, I agree. I tried the picco and it's too large. The nitro star 25 is way too small. All I have left to try is traxxas 3.3 which I will try for sure. Readily available

Latest posts

Members online

Back