new hpi savage problems! help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdogg1966

Hi all, here is my problem, I was breaking in my new savage today, I was on the third tank driving it slowly in the driveway, the the engine went wot and quit, engine luckily isn't hurt, however, the spur gear has a bunch of teeth sheered off, I removed the engine I felt the clutch it feels ok, i'm going to remove the clutch bell n look at the clutch shoes. does anyone have a idea as to what may have happened? also my brakes are so tight the truck wont move, is this normal on a new truck? please help if u can, thanks

Hi all, here is my problem, I was breaking in my new savage today, I was on the third tank driving it slowly in the driveway, the the engine went wot and quit, engine luckily isn't hurt, however, the spur gear has a bunch of teeth sheered off, I removed the engine I felt the clutch it feels ok, i'm going to remove the clutch bell n look at the clutch shoes. does anyone have a idea as to what may have happened? also my brakes are so tight the truck wont move, is this normal on a new truck? please help if u can, thanks

Kdogg,

No the brakes dragging isn't normal . Possibly the throttle/brake servo is stopped in the position where its applying the brakes, turn on radio equipment to see if it will move to its NEUTRAL position. If you were driving with the brakes engaged the clutch bell may have gotten hot and softened up the spur gear and melted off the teeth.Check your trim settings for throttle/brake.

ok, I checked the radio, n servos I was running a hump pack, i'm going to go to 4 AA setup n see if that fixes it. I adjusted the brakes, they are better now. i'm going to replace the spur, and I will inspect the clutch since I have the engine out. thanks for the advice!

ok, I checked the radio, n servos I was running a hump pack, i'm going to go to 4 AA setup n see if that fixes it. I adjusted the brakes, they are better now. i'm going to replace the spur, and I will inspect the clutch since I have the engine out. thanks for the advice!

Just FYI a 5 cell hump pack is far better than 4 aa batteries are 6 volt vs 4.8 volt, I would simply charge the hump pack and start fresh

for my information I have five savages, three kyosho trucks all nitros all running AA packs oh and a traxxas slayer running AA batteries, this is the first time this has happened to me. maybe it is better, faster stronger longer bigger badder awesomer, etc...… but if it tears up my new savage n I have to tear it apart, well I dunno, gee, with stock servos, AA's don't seam so bad

I will say this, when I charged the hump pack I charged it until it was warm to the touch, so I know a hump pack is better, but something happened and my best friend who owned a hobby shop just tyexted me n said it was something to do with servos, so since I have it apart, and I have a new HPI 3 speed, laying around, and a new f4.6 pull-start, i'm thinking, why not build it the way I want it since the thing is apart now. so what if its new. its mine and I do have all these extra parts here ???????? What to do???

I have used 5 cell hump packs in all my nitro rigs and never have experienced problems with any of my fleet of nitro rigs, I do agree the stock HPI servos are lousy so change them for something better and be done.... as for pullstarts, some love them some hate them, I am with the latter, I use roto starts and tiger drives to start all my nitro rigs except 2 , ( I have 6 others) my USA 1 Nitro Crusher and my XT2 buggy both start on the starter box.....

Latest posts

Members online

Back