New car audio advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRock

Ok guys I am looking to get a new deck and speakers for my truck.

I have a budget right now of $400 max for audio (I know its cheap but I have other stuff that HAS to get done).

Just wondering what others would suggest as far as decks and speakers go. I will need (4) speakers, (2) 5x3 and (2) 5x3.5 I believe.

Thanks

kenwood decks are great and i only use rockford fosgate speakers cause if u ever have a problem with there products they stand behine them 100%,i use to work at a stero shop and use to do db comp had a system that did 146db so if u find something u like ask me and i will tell u how it is.Thats what i have in my truck

$400 is really limiting you. unless you happen to know anyone that works at places like best buy and circuit city. they get great deals. i got component rockfords and a 10" sub and an amp for under $200. got my head unit from http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

i'm unfamiliar with the speaker size you listed. there are 5" x 7" ovals then there is the 5 1/4" round.

my buddy had a jbl head unit with a 1200watt xplod amp and 3 12" (?) kicker comps. in an extended cab s-10. it had good bass...but he toned down the amp somehow, and got good overall sound out of it.

the speaker might be a 5x7 but I will check again. I just need a new deck and some speakers that actually work. After I get all that and it is working I can start getting the nice speakers, amps, and stuff.

Hpi,

I'll take a look and see what I have laying around my place from my old competition days. I know i have 3 or 4 premier decks kicking around. I can send one out to you. Once I find them, I'll send you a few model numbers and you can research them and see what you want.

As far as buying cheap speakers that work, I think you will be better off buying good ones as your budget increases. I wouldn't buy cheap ones just to have music. Buy good fronts/doors and a deck, then when your budget allows, invest in the rear speakers you want. Take it slowly.

I also have a bunch of 1/0 power wiring and interconnects I can send you with a head unit.

Hopefully I can have a list for you by monday if you can wait.

when the time come parker I have 2 rockford power dvc 12's and a bd1000 watt amp that u can have cheap i have no room from them in my new truck.Plus try to stay away from best buy and stores like that,they get b stock stuff,try to go to a stereo shop and wheel and deal them in the long run u will be happier dealing with a stereo shop.Any questions just hit me up and i will help u out.What kind of car are u putting this stuff in

Thanks guys!

I can wait until Monday Neo, I am not in a rush to get it all.....

This is going in my 1988 Dodge RamCharger and of course I will most likely remove it all when I get a nicer vehicle.

Here is some pics of it.

100_3122.jpg

100_3123.jpg

It's days like today that after looking at your truck, I wish I lived a little more south. The body on that looks pretty damn good. Even the damn wheel wells still looks mint!
If your passing that on in time. I might have to go for a drive to take a peek at it.

Thanks Neo!!

It was my grandpa's truck, he fixed it up as much as he could right before he passed away a few years back. He got a new paint job on it for me, which is nice, although not a month after it was done an axle from a lawnmower fell and scratched up the right rear....not bad but noticeable. Yeah the outside isn't bad at all, the inside is the worst. My grandpa was a smoker so the tint was all bubbled up and other stuff from 15+ years of smoke so its time for new tint. I think it took about 3 months for it to air out where it doesn't smell like smoke but it needs some work done to the inside, I will snap some pics of it in a few mins. Also has a rebuilt motor and transmission in it.....

Sweet parker. I also worked at a Car audio shop for a while and did a lot of installs there and at home. I ran around wit a stereo that was about 137DB. It was all Memphis Pro audio stuff. Still have the amp at my place and a ferit Cap 4 ga wire and some old 10" subs one is a MTX and the other is some cheaper brand but works decent yet. Id sell it to ya fairly cheap if ya want it. The subs are in truck box's. Let me know.

What motor does that thing have in it?

PM me what you have larsen and what you are looking to get out of it for the amp and the subs....

It has a 318in it, has some decent power and it still does good on the gas. Gets right at 22MPG

:lmao:

This is what I have right now, and I know the truck is a mess.....it needs some TLC right now!

100_3131.jpg

100_3133.jpg

100_3132.jpg

100_3134.jpg

100_3135.jpg

And before anyone asks, yes that is a phone in the center.....

I have always been a huge fan of Clarion decks. I've had good luck with Rockford, MTX and Eclipse speakers.

ya clarion makes a great deck actually,got one in the camaro lol

Well guys this is my list so far and what I have gotten for estimates.

Repair Valve Cover: $100 (if taken to shop, I will most likely replace it since we have a new one)
Overdrive: $100
Power Windows: $600 (new windows, regulators....everything)
Power Locks: $200
AC: $500
Sound System: $400
Carpet Kit: $200
Door Panels: $200
Window Felt: $50
Window Tint: $200
Mufflers: $100
Total: $2650

Parker go to a junkyard. You can get a good portion of that stuff there. Get rid of the power stuff, put in manual stuff. I love going to junkyards, if you know what your looking for you can clean up.

go one ebay and get yourself a really nice alpine deck from 2004 or 2005 like this alpine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-CDA-9853...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
get yourself a set of infinity reference speakers from ebay or circuit city

http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-REFERE...ryZ14936QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

get 2 sets 1 for hte rear and 1 for the front and your in business

don't forget to get a wire harness from circuit city or best buy for your make and model they cost about $15

I bought a set of MB Quart QM160 Q competition 6 1/2 components for the front and a jl 10w7 with jl 500/1 amp for 500 and bought an eclipse amp for 140 from my brother in law who got me cost at circuit city. so i picked up a $1400 system for about $650 and he installed everything for free

Here is the subs I am looking to get, plan to get two of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ROCKFORD-FO...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

And here is the speakers I plan to get, either 2 or 4.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod...y_id=14&item_id=101681&locale=en_US&p_status=

And here is the amp I want:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod...y_id=21&item_id=108230&locale=en_US&p_status=

Also when I get all this installed I am going to get a switch installed in the dash or something where I can turn my subs on/off.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice parker i have 2 punch p3 10inch with a 1000w amp and they are great u will be happy with them.What amp are u looking to get for the subs,if u want a real good sub go with the punch bd1000 its a 2 channel but can be set up for mono 1 channel.

So after looking around and all I decided to go a little bit cheaper route...

I will be placing these speakers in the doors...2 of each.

http://mobile.jensen.com/jensen/Jen...TEGORY_SPEAKER&ACTION_PRODUCT_ID=POWERPLUS653

and...

http://mobile.jensen.com/jensen/Jen...TEGORY_SPEAKER&ACTION_PRODUCT_ID=POWERPLUS693

I picked up a JVC receiver the other day for $35 so I will get that put it all at the same time with the speakers. I am looking at a set of two 12" alpine subs with a 1200W alpine amp. If I don't go with the alpines then I will just toss in a pair of 12" sony xplod's, and then later get something nicer, not wanting to spend big bucks in this vehicle really.

hpi you should check out the kicker solobaric line of subs i have 1 10" L7 and it fools alot of people into thinking i got 2 12" on 170 watts

Crazy I doubt I will go the sony route.......just my last resort....and I do mean my LAST resort! LOL. I already have a box ready for (2) 12's

I understand I'm the FNG when it comes to RC, But I know quite a bit about mobile audio. Stay away from jensen dude. Not bad if you're just looking to replaced your factory speakers and keep it pretty well normal. But jensen's are made cheap, they bottom out early and generally have a very high sensitivity rating, making your head unit push harder to make sound come out.. that's the best way I know how to describe it. Thus when it gets turned up loud it start distorting very quickly. I mean sure they are loud, but it's all distorted.. just my two cents.
If I was looking for cheap speakers and a decent quality, I would go with kicker, kenwood, RF, MB Quart, or maybe even some Blaupunkts. Just my thought man, if you're looking for cheap wires get back to me. I have a website that I'm pretty sure you will not find them any cheaper and the quality is awesome!

if you are still looking at setting up a budget system shoot me a pm...i will get some pics of some of the builds i have done...well i know i have pics handy of the past two i have done...

ok so i cant get the pics to post but i can email them to you if you would like..

Well I finally got something.....I picked up (2) 12" JL w1's and a Alpine 350w amp with a jensen 300w amp and box for $250 installed. I am now looking at some new door speakers, I picked up some jensen 6x9's so I had something but it's time for something better that I can run my jensen 300w amp to. I am looking at the Soundstream SST6.9 2 ways but I will keep my jensen speakers in the door but I won't run an amp to them.

http://www.etronics.com/p-54873-sou...=F2C2D2A2E6823253D3836383835713736373D3333313

Latest posts

Members online

Back