new boy needs help with clutch bell!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labtec098

Hi!

Just did a search and couldnt find the info i needed, but i need help as my savage 25 has just eaten another spur gear after meshing it properly with the paper test etc.

Now after stripping it again it seems the clutch bell moves a hell of a lot from left to right and the washers between it and the screw (which is loctited on) appear to be so loose they are dangling down. I assume its not supposed to be like this? Also i am aware of shim kits you can buy how do these work and where can i get them from?

Any help is massivly appreciated!

labtec rather then spend your money on those shim kits which will fail, cut a small piece of fuel tubing that is the proper length and use that . it will never fail. also check your motor plate and supports under it for straightness and or cracks.

thanks so much for that i never in a million years would have thought that would work!

Well it seems to have secured the clutch bell but now its not aligned properly with the spur gear, as in they are only half on each other when bolted in, is there a way to get it to line up?

Bearings all seem ok engine plate is straight and all bolts are and were secure!

Thanks again guys

I use shims behind the clutch bell to get it lined up better.. but in one case I had to put a shim behind the fly wheel so it sat a lil further from the motor when pressed down on the shaft. Held the collar in place made the clutch line up and kept the bell over the shoes..

clutch shoes make heat on the bell that will melt the spur (after meshing it properly with the paper test etc) and now everything is sloppy you may want to check the shoes.and bearings...the fuel tube trick is the way to go but will melt allso .look at the bell and see if its blue

maybe show use a pick

yeah it ran fine for about 2 minutes until as you say everything got hot :( if it keeps doing this I'm tempted to put a steel spur on, what are your views on this?

double a, the shoes were replaced just before i got the truck and the bearings all seem to be working as they should. The only issue now is they don't seem to be properly connected, i.e the spur is only on 3/4 of the clutch bell and vice versa, but after some research this appears to be ok, is that right?

Also (sorry guys!) the spur and blackplate don't spin 100% straight, a little wobbly but only a tiny little bit. ive stripped it all down and the spindle it sits on is straight as anything and its a new spur so i can only assume its the blackplate, so could this be causing it to strip?

Sorry for the essay!

I've run steel spurs on my XL since I got it. Love 'em! Never had one issue with mine, and the clutch bells lasted just as long.

Latest posts

Members online

Back