Need some input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow6223

I've have a savage 4.6 with the original engine in it. I love the thing but the engine is hard to start most of the time the performance is ok and very inconsistent and it seems that something breaks everytime i'm out driving even though i'm not bashing it around or driving it hard I'm just out cruising. So my question is Is it the engine and I just need to go out and get something better or is it just the way everything is?

i'm sure i don't have an airleak been there done that with an engine already as far as breaking stuff its all sorts of stuff today i broke the pull start while i was driving somehow not sure on that one and my header tank mount got ripped off in a what i would call mild roll. as far as temp. today the high was about 68-70 the biggest thing for the engine is probably the elevation, which is over 5600 ft pretty everywhere around my house

its not the broken stuff so much as the engine performance that is inconsistent that really bugs me most everything i break i can fix pretty easily I just don't know or remeber that much of the engine stuff since it been about 6 month since i've really driven it

my suggestion would be completely strip the truck and make sure its put back together well, screws all tightened and thread lock used wherever metal screws into metal.

for the engine i would return it to base setting and retune from there

i had the k4.6 in my savage i used to race and it held up well. beat all other savages at the track and some were running force .32's

See this is hard because when I see questions like this my first question is, do you know how to tune? Not being rude at all but it's one of those things we just don't know. Here's my thought, reset all the needles and then retune it. As far as things breaking, what parts are breaking every time? I would do what poly said and strip the truck down ALL THE WAY. It's it's almost funny how many parts you can find broken when you take apart your truck.

See this is hard because when I see questions like this my first question is, do you know how to tune? Not being rude at all but it's one of those things we just don't know. Here's my thought, reset all the needles and then retune it. As far as things breaking, what parts are breaking every time? I would do what poly said and strip the truck down ALL THE WAY. It's it's almost funny how many parts you can find broken when you take apart your truck.

as far as tuning i don't remeber as much as i did i don't have a great understanding of the process or what to look for but i still got the basis idea on stuff breaking i took the thing partly apart today and the stuff that broke off the screws where stressed, they appear almost stretched, which would had been from last summer i completely rebuilt it this winter just didn't replace all the hardware most of it but not all
thanks for the help so far
also the fuel i've been trying to use up is about a year old but the sealed gallons i've had stored in the garage on the top shelf so to my knowledge its still good correct me if I'm wrong

I have had seen fuel go bad that has been stored for a long time. Check for any leakage of oil around bottom of jug.
You could get a new plug, a quart of new fuel, retune it and see if it runs better. then you can check it agains the old fuel. An old plug could hamper preformance 2.

thanks for all the help ill try some new fuel and a new plug this weekend if it warms up and i can get my pull start fixed

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back