need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noogie

I was just given a savage xl and after firing it up and trying to tune it, I have a couple questions.

I do not know if the vehicle was broken in properly so please keep that in mind.

The xl fires up almost right away, but when I hit the throttle there is a considerable amount of lag and the xl is extremely slow compared to my rtr x. Was wondering if the gurus had any ideas of where I should start focusing my attention to correct this. Temp was 230C when this was happening.

With the wheels off the ground when I hit the throttle then release, the xl wants to sputter out and die. Is this normal?

I'm kinda a noob to the rc world, but have done my research and checked what I think are the obvious. Any help appreciated.

p.s. after receiving the xl, I turned the needles all back to factory settings, inspected the throttle body with the air filter off, and reset the servo horn.

welcome to the forum and welcome to our addiction..so first off if the needls are set back to factory break in witch is all needles flush... your running it to ritch and it needs leaned out.. start with the high speed needle the one that the fuel line goes into... lean it till your getting good power and still got good smoke (clock wise).... then for a crisper throtle response tune the low speed needle (one that is at the end of the carb slide)clockwise slightly very small increments till it has a nice crisp throttle... just rem to watch for a nice smoke trail at full throttle.. the temps should be around 250 or lil over maybe ...each is different but temps arent importand as long as you got good smoke trail..and beings its still new and your not sure if it was broken in right... ide run a few tanks in it nice and slow just to help it break in a lil more .hope this helped... good luck and happy bashn..

Max,

tx for the welcome. I adjusted the 3 needles and was at 230c. U have any other guesses of what else may be causing the poor acceleration?

noogie welcome to hpisf i don't have much experiance with the 5.9 but from what i have heard they like to run in the 260 -275 for temps to be producing power. try leaning it up some more, as long as you have a nice smoke trail and decent power you should be good

according to my conversion calculator, 230c is equal to 446 deg f. This is way way to hot for any engine. You either have it tuned way way to lean, or you have another problem else where. How is the enging idling, is it idling ok or does it seem to be reving very fast with no way to slow the idle down? When running it, does the engine sound like it hitting a "rev limiter", similar to a 1:1 car? Sounds like you could have an air leak somewhere. Here are some links to you can refer to......

This thread has just about everything you may want to know about savy's...

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4161

Here are a couple of links from that thread to help you out..
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1511

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2572

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29933#post29933 (i put this in here to help you tear down your engine)

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726

ya my mistake guys, I'm from up north so everything is in C for me. What I meant was that it is running 230f.

Sudi:
I replaced all the lines in case of an air leak, the only thing I havnt done yet is seal the engine.

AllanQ:
you are dead on with the idle. Ill do some more reading and let u know what I find. Thanks for the links.

Does the idle fast as soon as you start it up or does it do it after the engine warms up? If its after the engine warms up, check your cooling head and make sure the head bolts are on tight, you may even want to indo them all and retighten in a cross pattern.

If it idles fast from immediately, then it may be an air leak someplace.

Keep us posted..

AllanQ:

Just finished firing up the xl and as soon as it started the idle was high and the tires were spinning. When I let go of the brakes it starts idling high immediately. I have set the idle with the air filter off and the controller is dead center.

After closer inspection I noticed that there was fuel leaking out of the mid range needle, I think thats whats it called.

I guess I will be sealing the engine

So I sealed the engine and reset all the needles to factory. After a little tuning I am experiencing the same issues.

The xl idles extremely high, I set the idle with the air filter off. When the throttle is applied there is a considerable amount of lag before it accelerates and at full throttle it reaches an rpm then thats it. It sounds like it has hit its max rpm/rev limiter.

Any other suggestions?

p.s. when I was sealing the engine, I noticed that the pinch on the piston was quite loose. Could this be the problem of my tuning issues?

Did you adjust the HSN first, then the LSN or both at the same time?

Adjust idle with the air filter on, not off.

When you say the pinch on the piston was loose, was this with the cooling head on or off?

Did you take the cooloing head off? And if you did, did the shim and copper washers go back in to seal up the head?

SSS,

the truck idles quite high with the wheels off the ground and the tires spin quite fast. When I put the truck on the ground and hit the throttle there is a noticable amount of lag, even with the high rpms. The LSN was at stock position, leaned it out and the same thing kept happening.

allanQ,

Started by leaning out the HSN and got the truck to 240f, then I moved to the LSN

I meant to say that I set the idle gap with the air filter off, put it back on, then lowered tried to lower the rpms by turning the idle screw counter clockwise.

The pinch is loose with the engine fully reassembled. All the washers and shims are in place. I can turn the flyweel with my thumb, whereas I have to use 2 fingers to turn my flywheel on my savage X

The best description I can give, with the xl off the ground, the tires spin and the rpms are high. Its as though the remote is being held at half throttle.

I centered the servo horn and checked the linkage

lol this threads gotten to confusing.. it does this now it wont do that now its doing this and this ..huh?lol dude i say try adjusting the remote if its idling like the throttles pulled half way.. might be simple as the adjustments on the radio need adjusted. good luck happy bashn.

Latest posts

Members online

Back