Need some help, savage won't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhett7660

Hi all..

Here is the problem. My savage won't start. It will kick over when I prime it with some gas (IE un-screw the glow plug and put some gas down the top). I will get a short burst and then it dies. I have set the idle screw all the way down and then backed it off a 1/4 turn at a time and nothing.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Also on the starter housing, how loose should it be? I have asked this before but it seems like it really loose right now.

Thanks
R~

There should be a 1mm gap between the carb and barrle. Check and make sure the glow plug is good. check fuel lines for air bubbles. could be a bad plug.
the houseing just tighten it up. if your talking about the grears they have some play and should be ok.

On the housing,, the little housing box isn't connected to the back of the engine. Is this normal? Or are there screws holding it in place?

I know the glow plug is good because if I put fuel down the top the engine will kick over and give me a short burst,, but will then stop. It will stop whether I pull the glow plug starter off or not.

I don't see any bubbles in the fuel line. I also put my finger over the exhaust and turn over the moter to make sure fuel is getting to the carb. Which it looks like it is.

R~

How do u prime it u shouldn't have to put fule down the head like that !!! sounds like u don't have any back pressure !!!!!!!!!

sorry u just anwersed my question do what monodragon says should have a 1mm gap at all times when fully closed

as far as the (little box) it should have screws where it bolts to the back plate right ?

try getting a peice of fuel tubing and plug it into the lid of the fuel tank where the line from the pipe goes in, then pull the line off the carb and blow into the line plugged into the lid until a little fuel spurts out of the tubing you pulled off the carb then put everything back to normal and try to start it that way. i would replace the plug anyway just to be sure that its not part of the problem

Check and make sure that your igniter is charged up. Maybe check for fuel leaks and other stuff mentioned above.

Site..

So there should be screws that screw the starter to the rear casing of the engine block correct? Mine doesn't connect to it what so ever.

Back pressure? How would I check for that? I will try the gas line trick.. see if that works.

I did a visual on the tank and there is no gas coming out and the seal is pretty darn tight on the top where you pour the gas in.

Thanks again for your help!

R~

yes, for pete's sake, there should be screws holding your rotostart back-plate on...LOL everyone seemed to skim over that apparently...

HI ya

I too had a problem with the rotostart at the back of the engine. I took the motor out and it turned out that the plate that holds the rotostart onto the back of the engine had split off through one of the screw holes

small.jpg

this resulted in all the screws falling out and the rotostart detached itself from the engine.

I contacted the place I bought the car, they contacted the ditributer for me and I got a new rotostart and the plate that connects it to the engine. The model shop did say it wasn't the only one they had seen.

hope this helps

Andrew

Sometimes if you pull out your glow plug and test it with an igniter, you'll get a short burst of light from it but then it will die off, this I believe has everything to do with a dead igniter battery. This might have something to do with your short bursts of run time. You might want to check those igniter batteries. But I'm no expert, I don't even know what a glow plug is! LOL

Latest posts

Members online

Back